HybridZ

white smoke

Hello my name is chris im pretty new with z's so bare with me. I bought my z October last year its a 76 280z, when i drove it home that day the car was fine. About a month later the car was sitting wile i was working on the paper work and getting my license my tranny suddenly gave out it wouldn't go into reverse for a wile but it would go on drive. Then it completely took a sh**t. So maybe about twice a week i would turn on the car let it run for a wile and i notice it started trowing some white smoke nothing big but some and i didn't think much about it i just thought well maybe just its because the car has been siting for a wile. OK so 2 days ago i swap my tranny i went from auto to 5speed n everything went great took me about 5 hours thanx to my uncle. So now to my q's i read up on the reasons for white smoke and theirs a few for example blown head gasket, oil rings, valve seals n so on. But I did read up on some guy having the same problem his transmission was going bad and started trowing white smoke form the exhaust do to i believe pressure causing some fluid going into the combustion chamber is this true? :blink: Also at idle it doesn't trow smoke only when i step on the gas. Well i just wanted to get your guys opinion on this and where should i start first on figuring out the reason for the white smoke.

Sorry for writing allot. :mellow:

How about this possibility:

You only ran the car for a little while during it's down time. You loaded up the exhaust system with condensation that now will only burn off after you make a long hard run down the highway for an exended period and get the whole exhaust system up to operating temperature. No engine repairs necessary at all.

That, or as mentioned, the modulator loaded up the intake with ATF and it has to burn off...

Either way, a long hard drive on the freeway will tell.

Remember in cold weather (which we don't get a lot of in CA) condensation will be visible in an idling car, and much worse when first started than once up to full operating temperature. This is normal...this does not mean anything is wrong or needs to be fixed.

I'm always amazed when this is not mentioned first...

Is it white white smoke, or is it smelly blueish white smoke? Have you pulled your spark plugs to see if any are particularly oily? If you open your Radiator cap and let the engine run, do you get bubbles in the radiator? is the smoke less with the radiator cap open? Have you checked your breather/PVC valve at the top of the valve cover to see if it's really oily/clogged? There's a lot that can cause smoke, most is not good, but some are a lot easier to fix than others.