HybridZ

just bought another z

jpuga

Well I just bought me a 260z. Its pretty rough but I could work with it. The interior is preaty clean and stock exept for a weird small stering wheel. I think I might of overpaid for it but it has alot of stuff already done to it. It has a header with twice pipes and what I saw was a p79 head and the block is unknown i didn't check cause I was oh so exited. It has some surface rust nothing major that I could see. Oh yeah its got a 5 speed manual transmission. It has some kind of old skool wheels with four flat tires. I will post pics of it soon out of my phone need a new on it just broke on me. But im happy with my purchase the guy wanted 1500 I got it for 1000 I will be picking it up tomorriow morning

Well I picked it up the z today and it looks pretty good. Im going to buy a batery and get the old fuel and see what happens...wish me luck. I haven't downloaded any pic cause my phone broke and I will not be getting one til mon or tues.

Doesn't Look bad at all, but she needs a good bath before you say she's in great shape. I'd guess it's been a few years since she's run regularly? Though She's got some 280Z traits (hood, front markers and tailights) The Carbs say it's older, but a lot of people have swapped the carbs in instead of the EFI system. What year it is on the VIN tag? 260's were only made in 74...

Doesn't look too bad though. Looks like there's a little rust that you'll need to address quickly.

Well I put a battery on and it needs a starter solenoid. I removed the spark plugs to turn the engine by hand and it turns good. It needs a slave cylinder and I will have to replace the flywheel because I took the starter out and the teeth were all striped and worn. Good thing I have a 240z flywheel.

Okay. Well for $1000 I think it's a decent looking deal. I wouldnt' say you did badly. Of course Rust is a real issue. You should take a look at the seams and especially underneath. That rear hatch looks like it's got a bit, so I'd guess there's some growing out of site, maybe under the paint. A good washing and inspection is in order. Since the hood, grill and engine aren't stock, I'd also be looking for any signs it's been wreaked. Probably not badly if at all, but it's good to know your car's history. Look for wrinkled metal underneath, and in the engine compartment while you're looking for rust.

Hmmm, two years vs. six years. Brief story, I am only now getting mine reliable after it having sat for FOURTEEN years with gas in the tank. I dropped the tank and had a shop chemically clean it FOUR times, in addition to the times I dropped it and hosed it out myself. The crust in the tank was so bad that when I put fresh gas in it, it would reconstitute the gunk from the old gas. A result was this sticky, tar-like gas that coated the intake valves. It started sticking one valve open, then two and so on. It got so bad that I just decided to rebuild the engine all together. Even after that I have still been battling rust and particles in the gas. I have a strainer before my (electric) fuel pump and started out only getting <1 mile before the strainer would plug up. Now I'm up to about 10 miles before I lose fuel.

So my amateurish advice, drop and clean the tank FIRST.

Well I just bought me a 260z. Its pretty rough but I could work with it. The interior is preaty clean and stock exept for a weird small stering wheel. I think I might of overpaid for it but it has alot of stuff already done to it. It has a header with twice pipes and what I saw was a p79 head and the block is unknown i didn't check cause I was oh so exited. It has some surface rust nothing major that I could see. Oh yeah its got a 5 speed manual transmission. It has some kind of old skool wheels with four flat tires. I will post pics of it soon out of my phone need a new on it just broke on me. But im happy with my purchase the guy wanted 1500 I got it for 1000 I will be picking it up tomorriow morning

Well good for you I have a 83 280zx and I will also be getting another z and it is a 1971 240z

Hey Can't complain, those old skool centerline rims were the Shuzizit back in the day. I really wonder how long it was sitting with the tires that badly degraded. You might consider dropping the tank befor eyou do anything just to be sure you don't have a chum biscuit of crap in there. The thing about surface rust, is it's often hiding a ton of cruddy rust under the paint that hasn't broken through yet. Get a DA sander and some primer and cut through a couple spots to see what I mean. You can rattle can them to keep it sorta the right color till you can get a full paint setup. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the car. It looks like you've got a decent basis to start with.

Hey Can't complain, those old skool centerline rims were the Shuzizit back in the day. I really wonder how long it was sitting with the tires that badly degraded. You might consider dropping the tank befor eyou do anything just to be sure you don't have a chum biscuit of crap in there. The thing about surface rust, is it's often hiding a ton of cruddy rust under the paint that hasn't broken through yet. Get a DA sander and some primer and cut through a couple spots to see what I mean. You can rattle can them to keep it sorta the right color till you can get a full paint setup. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the car. It looks like you've got a decent basis to start with.

Ha rust that's funny... I took a good look at my inside of my floor pans and found a bunch of that (cruddy) rust and on the pass side got a few holes about a nickle in diameter. The driver side has one about 3inches ling and half inch wide. The pass side frame rail is smashed like a beer can because I tried jacking it up and crush. Lots of rust. Ill replace part of the frame rail and parch those holes. I do have small holes on the pannels but not much I'm not too woried about those. I do have a welder and some welding experience (kind of) will post pix of it later.