HybridZ

shifter wont change gears

heavyweight280

Hi all. I think this is my first post. Been lurking for a while tho.

On my way home today my shifter started acting weird. At a stop, I tried to shift into first, and I was able to push the shifter much further to the driver side that I know it should be able to go. It didn't go into gear when this happened, I had to fiddle with it to get it into first. Thankfully I was close to my house. When I got home, it didn't want to go into first again, but this time, I wasn't able to move the shifter to the left or right, just forward and backward. It is in some gear, not sure which one, probably not first tho, but it does move forward. I took it apart to see if I can make anything out of it, but honestly I have no clue. Never had to deal with transmission problems before.

Here are some pics, made a short video but to big to upload atm. Any ideas?

1978 280z 5speed.

Thanks in advance.

post-12877-031925400 1299108663_thumb.jpg

post-12877-010577900 1299108687_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your responses.

You need to go a little further in your diagnosis. Like taking the rubber boot off to expose the lever. If that is set, then do a search for "won't go into gear" or variations of that.

I removed the boot shortly after taking the pics (Probably could have been helpful to take pics of that too :P) and took off the shifter to find that my old bushings were just about gone entirely.

I went ahead and ordered some shifter bushings, which I received just an hour ago and replaced them. As I suspected tho, there is something more than that wrong.

The shifter pin has to be seated correctly. Once it is fitted and seated the pin should stick out in the other end were it has a seat for a "C" clip. Make sure you have a clip.

Thanks, Just replaced the clip today with bushings.

There is a good drawing of the shifter components on page MT-4 of the FSM.

Forgive me, but I am not sure what you mean... Don't know what MT-4 of FSM means :(

Here is a vid of what I is happening.

It is only moving forward and backwards, but I can't go side to side. Not sure if it is even going as far forward as it used to.

A little history. I have been driving the car since July of last year, no problems, and always shifts smooth, until this. This (luckily) will be my first transmission problem on any car that I have owned, but I am no stranger to the wrench, so not afraid to tackle this on my own, if I had a better understanding of what is at fault. Any ideas? I will keep searching as well. Thanks :)

post-12877-057289000 1299527063_thumb.jpg

Update in case anyone else has this problem.

Well, I eventually took it to a guy who knows a lot more about transmissions, who took it out the car and found it was some pin or something attached to an arm that broke. Ended up being really minor, thankfully. Car is back on the road :)