HybridZ

Gauging interest in custom RB25 center covers

iBang

One of the things that has always bugged me about my RB25, and in fact RB25's in general, is that the plastic center plug cover always ends up looking crappy. The only thing you can do is paint it and that never seems to come out as nice as the valve covers which can be powder coated to look great. I have always been thinking of making my own center cover out of aluminum but I was reading a L-series build thread and inspiration struck:

I started with a picture of this:

img_1635.jpg

Did a little cad work and ended up with this:

rb-valve-cover.jpg

I think it came out so nice that there might be some interest in getting more than just one made for me. I haven't found where I'm going to get them CNC'd at yet, so price is up in the air but given that machine time is never cheap and neither is aluminum, I figure these will end up well north of $100, maybe north of $200.

At a price like that, would people be interested? I was thinking if I did do some sort of group buy that I'd just let them go out in raw aluminum so everyone can powder coat them to match their own engine bay schemes.

Thoughts? If there's no interest I'm still getting one of these made for myself, but seeing as I'm going to be doing all the leg work anyway, it seems a shame not to share it with my fellow HZ members.

BTW, in case anyone is concerned, I designed the cover to where the stock igniter on a series one engine and the stock breather tube will clear without covering up the artwork.

I'm working on my RB25 build right now, and I love the idea.

If it's in the ~$100 neighborhood I'm in. As it gets closer to the $200 mark it becomes more difficult to justify with all the other expenses of this swap adding up.

They look great, nice work!

:)

Well, not a lot of interest, but there is some. I've got a feeler out on getting at least a prototype made. I'll probably get that one done and bring it in and if some more interest in generated at that point, I'll move ahead with getting a run of them made.

S30rb25, I designed these to be usable with both series 1 and 2. They use the same bolt pattern and top plate, the series 2 just doesn't have the igniter up there. I haven't put any holes for the igniter on a series 1, but you could just drill and tap them if necessary. If there is significant series 1 interest, I'll make some spacers and drill holes as needed.

I haven't posted up anywhere other than here. A lot of forums are pretty sensitive about people posting things that could be considered advertising without being forums sponsors. I figured that this was closely enough related to everyone's interests here that I could post this without any problem. I also would rather do it as a group buy on this forum than advertising on a number of them.

We'll see what happens with it.