HybridZ

Itemized List of Weights (for the purpose of weight reduction)

In another thread ( http://forums.hybrid...tion-mods-240z/ ) we were talking about how to reduce the weight of a 240z. This subject comes up often enough that there should be a thread dedicated just to that with FACTS, not just hearsay and rumor.

The basic concept it to do something, like buy fiberglass fenders for the purpose of lowering the weight of your car. But, how much weight saving do you actually get for your money and efforts? What are other methods of putting your Z on a diet?

What did you do and what were the results? We need facts so we can better decide before we spend big money with small results. How much does the the stock steel fender weigh? How much does the fiberglass fender weigh? And, how much lighter is your wallet? In the case of non-stock items, such as fiberglass fenders, the more information the better. Who made them, what model number, how many layers of glass did they use... etc...

For the bulk of this, I am using our 1973 240z that we are setting up as a race car (road racing). As we take parts off, I will weigh them and post it here. We have a beam type scale, incremented from 1/4 to 500 pounds. Bathroom scales work with heavier weights, like doors and fenders, but can't resolve small changes.

Post you findings here and I will keep this table updated.

Weight - Item name or description (stock OEM parts)

Weight - Item name or description (after market in italics)

Weight - Item name or description (bold denotes something of importance)

(all weights are in US Pounds)

1972 240z

37.10 Hood

04.40 Cowl with Styrofoam pad intact

02.40 Center valence piece

01.10 Right and left valence pieces, each

13.00 Right and left fenders, each

23.30 Left door, bare. No glass, window frame, door latch, mechanisms, hinges, nothing except the bare shell

09.70 Left door glass with the metal brace that bolts to the bottom of it, nothing more

02.60 Left door window regulator

03.50 Left door window frame w/ felt strips

19.20 Rear hatch, bare. No glass, weather stripping, rubber, latch, lock or emblems

02.50 Right and left headlight buckets, metal, each

03.00 Right headlight bucket, original FRP style. Yes, they are heavier than the metal ones.

00.60 Gas filler flap, metal

01.00 Engine bay inspection covers, each

02.40 Grille, 240Z style

01.10 Taillight finishers, each

07.30 Front bumper, completely bare

01.10 Bumper mount brackets, each

00.50 Bumper overrides, each

00.45 Bumper rubber strips, each

04.00 Interior vinyl kit (from MSA) includes center console, luggage riser, wheel housings and shock towers with cardboard shock tower pieces. Does not include door sills, headliner or a-pillar trim.

1973 240z

07.50 Wiper motor, linkage and blades

23.50 Heater system, blower, core, plenums, ducts

02.00 Parking brake lever, pivot pin, rod (cabin half)

20.25 Dash with defrost trim, no meters, wires or switches

04.50 Center console with choke lever and cables

08.75 Interior parts - plastic covers, rear sides, taillight cores, dome light, kick panels, boomerang panels, etc.

16.25 Momo Corsa racing seat with Datsun adjuster (32.5 pair)

35.00 Original seat with adjuster (70 pair)

01.75 Carpet under seats. Most of the carpet was missing or got sucked up in the vacuum prior to this, so I can't weight all of it.

05.12 Interior vinyl from strut towers, door sills, trans-tunnel (headliner still in car)

16.50 Front bumper w/override bar

01.50 Wiring removed from rear harness (we removed the unused wires and put the rest back)

02.50 Whole rear harness before mod

13.25 Tool kit, jack chalks, jack handle, lug wrench, bag

02.25 Door seals (both sides) this is just the rubber outer seal

00.25 Shifter boot and flange

12.87 Tar paper floor & firewall insulation

04.62 Fiber mat Insulation/padding (incomplete when we bought the car)

04.25 Stock steering wheel w/horn pad

03.00 "Racing" steering wheel - "Personal" is stamped in the aluminum finger, took it off an old truck haha

04.50 Headliner & foam, sun visors and rear view mirror mount (no mirror). This includes the vinyl on the A-Pillars.

09.00 Door panels (pair)

02.00 Door pulls and related hardware (both doors)

320.00 Engine L24, no intake, exhaust, flywheel, cooling fan; all covers in place (rocker, oil pan, etc); water pump, alternator, oil pump in place

75.00 Transmission 4-speed

12.00 Alternator

59.25 R180 differential; 3.364 gears; dry

22.75 Flywheel (stock, 1973)

12.75 Pressure plate (stock, 1973)

02.00 Clutch disk (oem type, 1973)

1978 280z

65.00 Entire RHS door (bathroom scale)

Year & Model Uncertain (not that it matters much)

70.50 R200 with 3.9 gears; dry

After Market Parts

09.50 Fiberglass front fender "SubtleZ" by Reaction Research

01.31 Stock replacement fiberglass headlight buckets by Reaction Research

01.37 "filled" style fiberglass headlight bucket by Reaction Research

11.00 Reaction Research Notes: bathroom scale

05.00 Rear quarter panels "SubtleZ" by Reaction Research (weight confirmation needed)

03.00 Headlight bucket, original FRP style. Yes, they are heavier than the metal ones.

12.00 Momo Corsa racing seat without adjuster (these might be ten years old)

03.00 "Racing" steering wheel - "Personal" is stamped in the aluminum finger

02.50 Fiberglass interior door panels by Hybrid Z vendor (Rayven14) (With user modified tweeter hole and built up material)

12.00 Dash from 1990 240sx dash (with vents, but without gauges, wires)

14.00 Headers, 6 into 2, 1 5/8" primaries, unknown brand

35.00 Autopower 4-point roll bar (SCCA type)

01.75 Wink mirror 5 panels

30.75 ATL SP112 12 gallon fuel cell

03.00 - Headlight bucket, original FRP style. Yes, they are heavier than the metal ones.

12.00 - Momo Corsa racing seat without adjuster (these might be ten years old)

03.00 - "Racing" steering wheel - "Personal" is stamped in the aluminum finger

02.50 - Fiberglass interior door panels by Hybrid Z vendor (Rayven14) (With user modified tweeter hole and built up material)

12.00 - Dash from 1990 240sx dash (with vents, but without gauges, wires)

Edited by johnc

These are Reaction Research parts. Weighted with calibrated scales accurate within 1/4 oz. Parts as delivered before any fitting or trimming. Fenders will lose a couple of ounces when the holes for the headlights are cut out and the edges are trimmed for exact fitting.

SubtleZ front fender 9 lbs. 8 oz.

Stock replacement fiberglass headlight buckets 1 lb. 5 oz.

"filled" style fiberglass headlight bucket 1 lb. 6 oz.

I also confirmed the weight of the steel headlight bucket at 2 lbs. 8 oz.

So you can take 10 lbs. off the front of your Z with just fenders and headlight buckets. Or just stop eating so many burgers.

Thanks Dan. I updated the OP to include your info.

When I took off the door panels from our Z, I found that they included the felt strip necessary to keep the glass from banging into the steel. I removed the metal cowl from the wood panel as well as the vinyl. I used pop-rivets to secure this "cowl" back onto the door. Our Z lives outdoors and we need the glass still.

The metal cowl with felt weighs 2.5 pound (pair). The complete door panel before I hacked it was 9 pounds for the pair. The door pulls and related hardware is another 2 pounds. That's a reduction of 8.5 pounds.

I did a little weight test of some parts and here are some of the results. Bear in mind that my scale is not to the ntthhh degree accurate.

My stock '73 dash gutted, meaning without any gauges, wires, vents was roughly = 20.5 lbs

My '90 240sx dash With vents, but (Without gauges, wires) = 12 lbs

Aftermarket:

Reaction Research "Subtle z" rear quarter panels (which bond over the cut, stock metal panels) weigh in at roughly 5 lbs.

Hybridz vendor (Rayven14) fiberglass interior door panels (With my added tweeter hole and built up material) = 2.5 lbs

I'm sure there is some fluctuation to my scale but this is what I came up with, and hope it helps some.

My goal is to get a new accurate scale this weekend and then I can provide some aftermarket suspension/brake weights...

Nice goal.

We picked up an old beam type scale a few years back so we could weigh things accurately. I think I paid $50 for this. Good thing I have a truck so I could haul it home.

post-4203-058588000%201298406361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few more items for the list:

Headers,6 into 2, 1 5/8" primaries, unknown brand: 14 lbs

Flywheel (stock, 1973): 22.75 lbs

Pressure plate (stock, 1973): 12.75 lbs

Clucth disk (oem type, 1973): 2 lbs

Autopower 4-point roll bar: 35 lbs

R180 Differential 3.364 gear: 59.25 lbs

Wink mirror 5 panels: 1.75 lbs

ATL SP112 12 gallon fuel cell: 30.75 lbs

• 3 months later...

R180 differential from 73 240Z - 68 lbs.

3.364 Gears

No oil

A few more items for the list:

R180 Differential 3.364 gear: 59.25 lbs

Any idea where the 9 pounds difference comes from ?

68 lbs is quite close to what's given for the R200.

would be great to have weights to compare 240z stock axles (u-joints style) and Z31turbo CV's or any other CV axles that are commonly used for conversions (like wolfcreek?).

This is a great thread by the way!

I could add (weighted on a cheap digital bathroom scale):

4.8 lbs : 2 1973 OEM tailights (so 2.4 lbs each)

15 lbs : 1970 OEM rear hatch glass (with vertical defrost)

6.9 lbs : urethane air dam with brake cooling ducts for '70-'74 z (naked). Bought from MSA 10 years ago (actual p/n on the Z store 50-1411) (xenon part number 3124 stamped in the back)

Edited by turbonat240

I finally got a more accurate digital scale and weighed a few more parts as well as redid some.

Reaction Research front subtle z fenders(with BMW lights) = 11Lbs 2oz

Reaction Research rear subtle z panels = Drivers side 5Lbs 2oz, Passenger side 5Lbs 8oz

Techno Toy Tuning front adj control arm = 6Lbs

Techno Toy Tuning tc arm = 4Lbs 8oz

Momo race air leather shift knob = 4.5oz

Aeromotive a-1000 fuel pressure reg with Marshall gauge = 1Lbs

Recaro Mitsubishi Lancer evo 9 seat (including the stock sliders and female seat belt receiver) = 36Lbs

Any idea where the 9 pounds difference comes from ?

68 lbs is quite close to what's given for the R200.

would be great to have weights to compare 240z stock axles (u-joints style) and Z31turbo CV's or any other CV axles that are commonly used for conversions (like wolfcreek?).

This is a great thread by the way!

I could add (weighted on a cheap digital bathroom scale):

4.8 lbs : 2 1973 OEM tailights (so 2.4 lbs each)

15 lbs : 1970 OEM rear hatch glass (with vertical defrost)

6.9 lbs : urethane air dam with brake cooling ducts for '70-'74 z (naked). Bought from MSA 10 years ago (actual p/n on the Z store 50-1411) (xenon part number 3124 stamped in the back)

I'm not sure why there are two weights listed for the same unit. BeermanPete is my brother and we only have one stock Datsun unit and one WRX unit. I was there when we weighed the 240Z R180 @ 59.25 pounds. He said he didn't know why he got a higher reading earlier.

Hood latch with cable; complete with nuts, bolts, screws and related hardware from 1973 240Z = 2.5 pounds.

Single post "Racing Style" hood latch = 1 pound. This is a solid shaft stainless steel post. I mounted the single post in the center of the hood where the stock latch had been. This weight includes a bracket I made.

http://qwildurn.game...tOfWeights.html

Hybrid Z does not allow editing of posts after they're a few weeks old. Because of this limitation, I'm using an external web page to host the List of Weights. This external page allows for better organization tools to create an easier to read table.

Please continue to post your item weights here and I will add them to my HTML table.

http://qwildurn.game...tOfWeights.html

• 1 year later...

Is there some reason your "table" doesn't list O.E.M. parts and weights next to the weight of the part(s) you replaced them with? This isn't a table, it's a series of lists that one must read through and struggle with to extract any meaningful information. I will do this and post a spreadsheet that actually show a "table" of comparisons so that one can actually use it at a glance.