HybridZ

Transmission problems

Jordon

Hi guys,

Well I am having some problems here working out a transmission for my build.

My build in regards to the engine will be a stoker twin turbo L28 engine. I am going this route for something different.

The numbers I am aiming for are between 500 - 700 Hp (don't know what the torque output will be) but based of what I have seen you can basically guarantee that the torque numbers will be higher than the hp.

So if I hit the number I want (650hp) then I have a problem with the transmission.

I have had a look around and found the best option would either be a T-5 or a TKO. out of these two what I have found is that the TKO is stronger but the T-5 is a common swap.

The problem being that for example the strongest Tremec t-5 only handles 300 ft/lb of torque and even the Tremec TKO says its torque capabilities are 600 ft/lb (alot but may not be enough?)

So what can I do?

Is the TKO an easy swap onto an L28?

Thanks guys.

To me it seems like if you're aiming for numbers like that with an L28, you obviously have the engineering and technical knowhow of how to adapt any transmission to that engine. The T-56 out of a Viper would work just fine.

If you don't have that kind of budget or knowhow...then maybe you should think about a different number or engine to get it.

I liked the idea of a T-56 initially but the torque numbers are stated below the TKO.

I just had a look online at torque capabilities of the dodge's T-56 and it is only rated at 550 ft/lb (50 lower than the TKO).

I know there are upgrade-abilities to get the T-56 to handle over 1000 ft/lbs of torque but those transmissions run into the $5000 and above area.

Was looking for something a bit more cost effective.

i have seen 500hp 5.0 mustangs with superchargers get 80+ runs out of a stock ford wct5 with no problems.if you get a zxt t5 bellhousing and machine the input bearing carrier on the t5 it bolts together.i run a 3.0l turboed engine in my 77z with a 82zx na trans.the reason is the ratios are best for what i use the car for-road race tracks.drag racing puts huge shock loads on driveline parts.road racing doesnt do this so i prefer the na trans because it shifts like butter when filled with redline mtl.if i was going to build a turboed z for drags i would run an auto trans -just floor it and go.i did some work an an old zxt turbo with an auto trans and it was very fast-and easy to drive.

Thanks for that Randy, I will keep that in mind.

I haven't decided whether or not I will be taking it on the strip so far I have only decided to circuit/road race, but it all depends on the numbers the engine puts out so I will have to wait till it is finished, I just didn't want to be a few months down the track and have no idea on a transmission.

There is also the T56 Magnum, which Tremec rates at 700 lb/ft. D&D Performance sells them outright at $2.9k shipped, which might be a good alternative, if you don't already have a core to get rebuilt. Getting the bellhousing/adapter plates will probably be your biggest issue.

Thanks svmike, but do you know if they can ship to australia?

They don't have an email address on their contact page and I don't really want to have to make an international call.

But that transmission looks like a good idea, I might try and get one over here in Aus.

I'm sure they can, it will likely hurt. A lot.

You should be able to source it locally, you can try to locate an Australian Tremec dealer through http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/aftermarket/distributor.asp

If you want to lower your cost, the T56 Magnum can also be found in OEM applications as the TR6060 in the latest V8 Camaro and in the Corvette, but with a different tailhousing.

I'm curious to know how you are mating this to the L28.

I have been working on installing a T-56 into my turbo Z and this is what I have come up with so far. I sourced a T-56 at my local wrecking yard for 1K. This came out of a 2000 camero. I have removed my nissan trans and removed the front bell housing. Right now that beell housing is at a local trans shop that works on adapting different trans to different engines for racing purposes. What has to happen is this, The nissan bellhousing is being milled down and then this adapter plate is going to be welded to it.. http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/default.asp?id=5151

The fun part is that the input spline count for the T-56 is different than the Nissan clutch. So this same shop has my Fidanza flywheel, where a new surface is being made with the new clutch that has the correct spline count will bolt on to it. I am also going to use a hydrolic release bearing with remote bleed line. something like this.. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/QM-Hydraulic-Throwout-Bearing,4378.html

My speedo is an autometer electronic type and programable, so i can use the stock T-56 sending unit.

Then there is the crossmember to fab and the drive line. Also getting the correctly shaped shiffter linkage, but only after the trans is installed into the car.

My only issue/concern is will the nissan bellhousing hold up to all the modifications needed? The trans shop did tell me that if the bellhousing doesnt work out to their required testing I dont have to pay for the work done to it. If the stock nissan bellhousing doesnt work I might then have to contact Taylor Racing and see what bellhousings they have that might work.

Total cost for trans/ trans rebuild, bellhousing mods, flywheel mods as of this morning is $3000.00 US dollars and there is still alot of work to be finished. Projected total cost is $5500.00 US dollars?? Thats about what I spent on the L28 Blow Thru Turbo/Holley build I'm currently running. I hope I did my homework correctly on this or I'm SOL!!

This is the web page that tells you all about installing a hydrolic release bearing.. http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/rice-rat-rod-quartermasters-hydraulic-release-bearing/

Edited by 280zex

Without going into all the details I don't think you'll have a problem with any of those transmissions. The T5 is smallest allowing more room for the install. The TKO or T56 would be a bit more trouble to clear in the tunnel. The engine torque you're talking about compared to the transmissions torque levels are not a huge issue since you'll not be getting the tires to hook up to apply it anyway. That is assuming you're not going solid axle and/or using sticky wide drag slicks. I would try to stick with a clutch fork and slave cylinder if only for convenience. If that internal hydraulic throwout fails it means pulling the transmission to repair. I've built a WC T5 for my SC'd L28 project using the Nissan bellhousing, shifter cover assembly and tailhousing. I'll be using a stock mustang 9.5" clutch (closer to 240mm actually), the Nissan pressure plate/throwout assembly and a custom pilot bushing.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

This is all looking promising now.

I think I may go the T56, it looks like alot of work but good things never come easy.

About the hydraulic bearing, would they be that prone to failure that I would be doing it often enough for it to be a pain?

Cheers guys all this info is great.