HybridZ

Replacement Options for stock combo switches

I am in the planning stages of rewiring a 72 Z. The PCB on the back of the windshield wiper switch is cracked, and my high beam switch no longer works. In short, would like to replace the switchgear attached to the steering column, and am looking to modernize. Any help or guidance to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

I'm interested in this as well. I will not be running wipers on my car, so I'd like a modern Nissan headlight/turn signal switch. That would be much cooler than having two seperate switches when I could have one to do both functions and eliminate the wiper switch.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking into options and was wondering if anyone knows if the switches from a 85 300ZX(Z31), or a 1983 200SX will fit on the steering column of a 1972 240? I would hate to spend the money on the parts without knowing if it will fit.

Thanks

Edited by HCS01

Sounds like a trip to the junkyard is in order, or at least a few calls to carpart.com members to find somone who'll take some measurments for you. The Z31 stuff is a possibility, but I'd want to look at them before trying them either.

If you get into this, please post some picts and show us what you're thinking. I know you can buy rebuilt S30 switches. I was going to swap in a 78' switch for my 70 switch. dunno the difference tho.

• 6 months later...

I forgot about this thread, and left it stagnant. Sorry about that. I do have some news though:

1) The multiswitch from a 1983 280zx will not fit. The internal diameter is too small to mount on a 1972 steering column.

2) The multiswitch from a 1984 - 1985 300ZX does fit. A small (.25" deep) indentation needs to be ground into the top of the steering column so that the multiswitch will be held in place when tightened.

Pictures will soon follow.

--Edited for clarification--

Edited by HCS01

I forgot about this thread, and left it stagnant. Sorry about that. I do have some news though:

1) The multiswitch from a 1983 280zx will not fit. The internal diameter is too small to mount on a 1972 steering column.

2) The multiswitch from a 1984 - 1985 300ZX does fit. A small (.25" deep) indentation needs to be ground into the top of the steering column so that the multiswitch will be held in place when tightened.

Pictures will soon follow.

--Edited for clarification--

I am interested also, my switch is damaged and I would like a more modern setup. If you have time, can you do a breakdown of the wiring?

I am interested also, my switch is damaged and I would like a more modern setup. If you have time, can you do a breakdown of the wiring?

Here is a copy of the page from the service manual. Each Headlight is originally on its own circuit. I only used one, when rewiring my 240. The other will most likely be used for driving lights.

1 = Turn Flasher

2 = Left (I think, test this and 3 before committing. I spliced bullet connectors onto the socket I cobbled for the turn signal connection)

3 = Right (see above)

5/8/11/26 = Power wires

6/9 = High beam signal

7/10 = Low beam signal

12 = Parking lights/dimmer

27 = I didn't use

Aside from that, I used two small 4 pin female connectors in the original wiring that I used to fit the light controls. There is a flange around the wire side edge of all of these, so I shaved one side down that would mark the inside of each for a perfect fit. I found a small 3 pin female to use for the turn signal.

If you have any questions, please ask... I hope this helps

--Edited for punctuation--

post-13873-066176300 1320429989_thumb.jpg

Edited by HCS01

Here is a pic of the mounting section of the '85 multiswitch and shows what the piece that holds it in place.

The second is a pic of what little work is needed on the steering column:

--Edited to add resized pictures--

post-13873-038951300 1320430522_thumb.jpg

post-13873-004938600 1320430531_thumb.jpg

Edited by HCS01

• 3 weeks later...

This section of the project has been put on hold for a bit while I study for my CCNA exam. I do plan on taking the steering column cover from a 1985, as I don't thing the cover from a 1983 will fit without a bit of trim work.