HybridZ

Florida Consumer Complaint

260DET

"Then once you've established you're not going to get anything from them, that's when you hire a local Attorney, naming both the company and the people who run it, as well as all their employees in a suit to recover your $ and attorny fees. "

Yeah, spend $50K to pursue $3K...

That Quantas Flight is likely $1200AU, tyvek suit probably can be bought with the Japanese Crisis without too much suspicion, but a cricket bat? Priceless!

:lol:

No need to push those pins, when that piston got set down I used an Oz Colloquial Expression "FH!" :blink:

Someone will have some interesting skirt wear patterns using that 'unique' 'offset boring technique'...

From that point it's all 'piling on'---that alone renders them useless IMO. I'd not use them. And I'd be stopping by WalMart for some disposable hickory! :angry:

I wouldn't be too worried about the pin bore area of the piston until you have the bore measured to see what the clearance is set to as is. A full floating pin once pin fitted will glide/slide with no press fit. Thats the point of being a full floating pin design. Forged pistons will never have a press fit pin design its old technology and floating is a far superior foot print for pin bore design. Stock cast pisons only have a few tenths clearance on the pin bore as its a press fit application. Even at operating temps the expansion isn't enough to make any real noticable difference and is still considered and retained as a press pin applicant.

As for the offset pin bore housing that is pretty shitty situation..however, the rod small end is not the entire width between the pin bore housing areas. Regardless of what you or your engine builder may think the rod small end is going to move a little side to side when in a dynamic condition. If you measure total width of the small end compared to the overall space between both pin bore housings you'll notice that the rod still will have plenty of area but this does not negate the fact that the pistons were machine improperly.

Guess its time for you to get another set of pistons.

"Forged pistons will never have a press fit pin design its old technology and floating is a far superior foot print for pin bore design."

Wow, I don't have press-fit forged pistons in my Bonneville car. Whooda thunkit?

"NEVER" say 'never'...

Pin should be a push fit with the piston warmed up, not a press fit, that is old technology. Once the pistons reach operating temperature the pins will then be free to float due to slight expansion of the pin bore. One thing I did not mention was the pin bore finish was coarsely cross hatched so those pins were quickly going to loosen up more in operation.

if you install the pin in the pin bore and you can not not rotate/spin the pin in the bore as is then its considered pressed/pushed....whever you want classify it for yourself.

I've been building engines for quite some time and any forged racing piston I've ever come across is always full floating. Take it for what its worth.

good luck

Well as far as language allows I think there can be several degrees of fit that can be described, press, push and slide in, for example. Far as I know all modern engines have floating pins irrespective of what pistons are used, including the VG33.

The guys with their name on the Piston Company said "Never seen a pressed pin come out and touch a wall like that before, how high did you say you were revving this thing?"

Pressed Pins. Absolutes are a beyotch as some arsehole like me always is lurking as the exception. Be it old technology or not, it still works. People say you don't need Teflon Buttons on Press-Fit pins either...but wanna know someone who's got 'em in two running engines???

:P

I might surmise that the 'fit' is something quantified by interference or clearance. Press-Fit pins are interference fit hence heating is required to get them in. Push-Fit are line-to-line and may be a set clearance in tens of thousandths of an inch. Full floating yet another range yet again. I remember specs somewhere.

But there are a lot of Datsun Engines out there with press-fit pins still hammering away after years of racing. Don't discount "old technology"--if it works, it works! Simplicity is it's own reward. I've heard of countless spiroloc failures...until our engine kissed off the block some 0.080" when the pins contacted I'd never heard of press fit pins failing and wrecking the block. And neither did the owners of several piston manufacturers! It was embarrassing, really "Oh, you're the guys with the press fit pistons that let go!" Argh! :(

Edited by Tony D

Does it matter? There must be some issue since he hasn't gotten a refund for the product yet, eh?

Seems to me a refund of sorts would have already happened given the video and obvious piston problems.

• 1 month later...