HybridZ

240z to 280zx dizzy no spark..help

OK guys I need some help I done this swap with the first engine i had in this car but sold it. I just purchase a L28 with carbs has a 280zx dizzy. N I bought a new 1980 280zx ignition module for the dizzy. I wired the dizzy as everyone else does it. B to positive side of coil. C to negetive side of coil.. n bridge the ballest. But I have no spark. Could it be the dizzy is not working? I checked to see if the coil was getting power n it is when on the on position. But is not giving any current to the dizzy for the spark.. any help I searched like crazy n no luck.

Thanks in advance

Have you checked power on the wires? Battery voltage at B+ and Coil - with the key On?

Broken parts could cause no spark. I've seen the magnet under the stator broken.

There is a set of tests you can run in the Engine Electrical section of the FSM.

Yes i have and they have power. I had this car running before with the same setup haven't mess with the harness since. but sold the motor and now i installed another one. I was messing with the spark plug n got a little shock but its not enough to even see it. So my only guess is that the distributor is bad broken stator n the bearings that hold it leveled fell out. I also picked up a used original E12-80 module from the junkyard and it still no spark.

Ironic, I had the same problem around Christmas time and still haven't fixed it. Was using a 280 dummy dizzy (one without the IC box) so I used an HEI module. Drove to my friends house one night, next morning, car wouldn't fire up. Swapped HEI modules, coil, checked for 12V, everything was good.

I assume it's something about that magnetic pickup that you guys are talking about or perhaps one of the wires managed to get loose. I can't figure out why it would run like a champ one day, and the next day after just sitting there, it breaks?

I did see that when you take the cap and rotor off, you see the 6 splines or whatever on the shaft. I assume these are the splines that trigger the magnet. Mine looks to have some broken bits. It probably set the gap too large. Still doesn't explain why it just all of a sudden wouldn't work though. With ignition, I expect to see a misfire and signs of deteriorating spark before **** hits the fan.