HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

I have yet to see even my headers or get a phone call back from Blake... How many people are still waiting to get their headers? Also I agree, if we paid for gaskets we should get them or get a credit back. I am a business owner and if I treated my customers in this manner I would be out of business!!!

David has done a lot for the group so I think we all owe Blake a call for an update about the gaskets. I do not see him at fault for the mod us 240z guys will have to make because of floor differences. Blake if you are reading please update us on what you plan on doing - let's not turn this into a flame the builder thread but it is heading down that road.

I have yet to see even my headers or get a phone call back from Blake... How many people are still waiting to get their headers? Also I agree, if we paid for gaskets we should get them or get a credit back. I am a business owner and if I treated my customers in this manner I would be out of business!!!

Don't feel bad, I have not received mine either. I talked to him las week and he said they were back from ceramic coating but was waiting to see what the deal was with the starter clearance isues before he shipped them out.

The starter issue, from what I understand is that SUNNY Z had a non-oe starter on his 5.3 and was not aware of that. Apparently Blake did not not pick up on that fact and built the headers to fit a non-oe starter; good, bad or indifferent. It appears that we need a starter which is about 3/4" shorter than the stock LS1 model. I ordered an LS2 starter Saturday and hope once my header returns from his shop [it was returned to ensure it fit the jig correctly and fit his 'LSx' test block with stock starter as well & was told and sent images that the LS2 fits with plenty of room] that it does fit so I can continue with the install. My first track event is May 4-6th and may not make it. Still need to; install header, have exhaust from headers to aft of tranny built, align suspension & bed in new pads & rotors. I've lined up a rental track car for the weekend [more $] so it's not a total loss-plus, as an instructor, no track car is not a valid excuse for lack of attendance.

Received a text about 5pm local saying my header departed on it's way home this morning!

Don't feel bad, I have not received mine either. I talked to him las week and he said they were back from ceramic coating but was waiting to see what the deal was with the starter clearance isues before he shipped them out.

Edited by 1 tuff z

Update: picked up the special order LS2 starter from Autozone today [only place that had one other than dealer], cost ~$92 + core.

Measured it before leaving the store-to ensure it is shorter. LS1 ~7 3/8", LS2 ~6 3/4" long-so it appears as though it will work fine. Will confirm once the header is back home again-was hoping it'd be here to day...

Next: 2 steps back.

• needed to order a second 'long' starter bolt-dealer item, ~$5 + 1 week to get here
  • small 'boss' on the side of the block which the LS1 starter is clearanced for but the LS2 is not-so the 'boss' needs to be removed
  • need to convert from a ring terminal for the small starter wire [not sure what it's called] to a newer style pin terminal-still working on that one and open to ideas [did some searching and it appears to be a 'weather pack sealed electrical connection']

Edited by 1 tuff z

Removed the 'boss' - not real pretty but then no one will really ever see it [except all my friends on hybridz-but they won't divulge my secret...].

LS1 & LS2 starters side by side and boss before & after surgery-LS2 starter fits just fine now. Last item is to source proper connector.

post-176-075912500 1334967464_thumb.jpg

post-176-005926300 1334967477_thumb.jpg

post-176-078647400 1334967488_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

• 2 weeks later...

Update: header install complete, exhaust complete, dyno'd & tuned yesterday-same shop & dyno where it was originally done back in 2006. I pick up the Z today along with dyno printout [asked him to lay on both '06 & new charts together to more clearly see before & after-which I'll post soon along with the brand of dyno used]. For the exhaust I purchased 3" to 2.5" transitions from cone engineering and have them installed at the header-allowing me to run 2.5" tubing until after they merge into a single 3" for better clearance. Will do my best to post pics of that as well-need to get it on a lift first.

A couple of hindsight 20/20 observations or-if I could have a 'do-over'...

1. Order headers without v-bands-this would allow me to weld the 3-2.5" transitions directly to the collector then weld 2.5" v-bands onto the transition ends
  2. Have oxygen sensor fittings unmounted/welded-so we could best position them for optimum fitment after test fitting
  3. Maybe even leave the right collector unwelded allowing more precise 'angling' for the tighter 240z floor pan
  4. Have a bit more ground clearance on the right header and room for the stock LS-1 starter

Edited by 1 tuff z

My engine is a 2001 LS1 pulled from a Trans AM / ram air car with only 20,000 miles before someone totaled it. Mods include; ported/polished oil pump [to combat oil starvation on a road course], double row timing chain [after seeing several vettes in the shop that tuned my z with the stock single chain broken-at track events], underdrive pulley [greater pulley to steering rack clearance] and a ported & polished throttlebody. There have been zero mods since installing the long tubes and the tuner gave it the same tune as before [conservative-think reliable/longevity]. No other mods that what I've listed above. Tune/dyno pulls done on 93 octane pump gas.

Good to see some one with them finally on. If you dont mind could you please list engine modifications like ci, heads/casting numbers, cam and intake?

Dyno sheet as promised. RWHP +16.31, RWTQ +6.41. Same dyno, same tuner, same tune, no mods other than the long tubes. Top lines for each are long tubes, bottom lines for each are the sanderson shorties. Sounds a tad meaner and has a bit more kick from the right pedal.

med_gallery_176_1011_660581.jpg

Dyno sheet as promised. RWHP +16.31, RWTQ +6.41. Same dyno, same tuner, same tune, no mods other than the long tubes. Top lines for each are long tubes, bottom lines for each are the sanderson shorties. Sounds a tad meaner and has a bit more kick from the right pedal.

med_gallery_176_1011_660581.jpg

I am glad y'all are having fun with your installs and dyno runs... I still have not gotten mine or even heard anything back from 417 despite numerous phone calls and emails... I am almost to the point of contacting paypal for a refund. Can someone please give me a straight answer.

16 hp is 16 hp.

Indeed and if I already had a built motor, squeezing everything I could out of it would be a priority. But like a stated before, it is not cost effective on a stock motor. Id like to see some gains on a motor with at least a cam and an LS6 intake before purchasing.

That lack of response is completely unacceptable. Have you tried texting him [do you have his cell-417-880-2329?]. I'd call him multiple times daily until you get a resolve and/or begin the process with paypal.

I am glad y'all are having fun with your installs and dyno runs... I still have not gotten mine or even heard anything back from 417 despite numerous phone calls and emails... I am almost to the point of contacting paypal for a refund. Can someone please give me a straight answer.