HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

That is the only mod I have found that is needed for my z. I have considered 'slightly denting' the left header tube that is kissing close to the steering rod but will wait until it has a bit of run time to see if there is any interference. Spoke with Blake this afternoon and he's looking into possible mod of the jig for future headers. My best guess is there differences in the floor of the 240z [my Z] vs. later 280z [sunnyZ's car-our test fit 'mule']. Anyone have both a 240z and 280z that can confirm my guess?

Pics of 'mod' -top view showing approximate 15 degree bend inboard to follow taper/angle of tranny, oxy sensor bung & v-band re-installed

med_gallery_176_1011_273972.jpg

Side view-slightly longer than original to match length of where the left header 'dumps'

med_gallery_176_1011_266830.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

keep in mind that Blake is not a z expert and he had only a 280z for the fitment and building. There are differences between the models which no one else brought to light in this thread during the 'build' process. If I knew [as that my z is a 240] it certainly would have been brought up. No word on gaskets that I've heard-my guess is that Blake will post in this thread when he does.

Interesting. I hope I don't have to do the same for headers that cost me 900+. Has the gasket issue been resolved?

If the gaskets are the only hold-up, do we want him to just deliver them minus gaskets and just source our own gaskets? The gaskets shouldn't keep each of us from moving forward, seems a little trivial in the grand scheme of things surely they don't account for that much of the cost - I wouldn't sweat the difference in money.

Can't remember if I had posted this video in the past but thought maybe a good idea for a baseline shorty stock LSx block dyno run. Will post the new dyno run [results at least] after the exhaust is completed [couple weeks at the longest].

http://www.streetfire.net/video/quick-dyno-vid-drive-afterward-in-my-ls1-powered_51662.htm

For the video, no I did not put it together, add the music-only drove the car. And no, my z does not weigh 2400 lbs, more like 2900 with me aboard.

Edited by 1 tuff z

It is funny how we work so hard to shave weight on our cars. I've gained 40 pounds since high school. That is like 4 horsepower lost. Look at Tony Stewart and John Force, those guys aren't worried about a few pounds. More horsepower covers a lot of sins. One of mine is the inability to push back from the table. 15 horsepower is the cost of a passenger. For now, I'm gonna throw the fat chick out. She doesn't like smelly, noisy cars anyway.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...

lol I don't worry about shaving weight on the car any more since I'm 6' and up to 300 lbs now.

Oh and to not be totally off topic...The passenger side header required slight fitment mods for the starter.

Edited by JustAFantaZ

JustaFantaZ - please post pics of your mods and describe model of car (240,260,280z).

Have you heard anything about your ceramic coated headers? I have been trying to reach Blake for 2 weeks now via phone and email and still no response. I talked to him over 2 weeks ago and at that time he claimed our headers were at the coaters and was going to check on them and call me back. I'm still waiting on the phone call.

I'm not in a rush for the headers since my car is a long way from being done. I just hate being blown off. I understand these headers were done to help our Z comunity which I appreciate but lets get real here, they were a long way from free or cheap therefore I expect some customer service. This is like dealing with Modern Motorsports.

I always remember to try to call after 5pm - my stinking job (the one that pay for Z parts) keeps me pretty occupied. I'll try him tomorrow; I'm working a 1/2 day. Maybe 1tuffz can call on our behalf too? We kind of need a headcount of who has gotten their headers and who is waiting...

Keith

I've been trying to reach him since Mon afternoon on a question I have on my headers. Finally got a reply text today-his reason is the shop is short handed this week...

Still have not heard anything about our gaskets. As I am neither the manufacturer or distributor I have no idea as to who has or has not received their headers unless they've posted here in the thread.

My suggestion is to text to the number he supplied us. I think it's on page 12 or so of this thread.

Just messaged him. I'm in no hurry - gonna wait a year before install anyway, but I want to try to stop him from coating them (if I'm not too late) until after I do the mods needed to fit a 240z, per 1tuffz's experience. Would we all just want to write off the cost of the gaskets? They cost $15-30. Not a lot to make an issue over when compared to the difficulty of making these things. I bet he's ready to get them out of his shop, anyway.

All, this thread and process has been a long one. I've made some mistakes and learned along the way. Took much longer than I anticipated and we've had some hiccups and an item which is unresolved-gaskets. End result is beautifully crafted T304 stainless equal length long tubes that are unique to our LSx Z's.

Unfortunately I do not have control over the process any more that you do and it has, at times, been frustrating.

1. Discovered the 'floor' difference between the 240z and 280z chassis which prompted me to 'adjust' my right side header [i do not hold the builder responsible for this one by any means as he is not a Z guy].

2. We have no OE multi-layer manifold gaskets-yes, they are part of what we agreed to with the builder. I have [and others have too] asked repeatedly but without resolve. Personally I am re-using my OE gaskets with the hope the original agreement will be met.

3. My right header does not fit with my OE F-body 2001 starter installed. I have learned that SUNNY Z's engine had an aftermarket [slightly shorter] starter installed but was not aware of this nor did the builder notice. I know, by sight, the difference between a Z and ZX OE starter but not a GM.

4. I shipped my right header back to Blake to ensure it fit the original build jig [it does] and ask him for a solution. He stated that using an LS2 factory starter fits fine and sent me pics showing clearance. My header should be on it's way back to me shortly and I'll either modify the header [as JustAFantaZ did] to fit my LS1 OE starter or purchase the LS2 model [or what SUNNY Z has]-not sure which yet but am leaning toward header mod.

Hindsight: have 2 Z's there-240z & 280z & ensure the 'mules' had stock LSx components and finally, understand that it always takes longer than it does...