HybridZ

Turbo LM7 72 240z: The Quest for Power!

Hello guys my name is Cameron, I've been a member on here for a little while now and rarely post up, as I mainly just used the site to do research for the build up of my car. So I figured I would start a build thread as I am making a little bit of progress on the car now!

My goal with the car is to basically build a pretty quick street car and a weekend drag car!

Basic Plans are:

Your typical JY 5.3L

Borg Warner s475 83mm turbo

50mm Wastegate

50mm BOV

th400 tranny

QuickSpool Valve

Decent size cam

Megasquirt EFI

yada yada yada.......lists goes on here are a few pics!

Car when I got it, yes it does need rust repair, but it cost me $500

167605_1686173125579_1575190608_31545482_4780780_n.jpg

169011_1686176005651_1575190608_31545486_3496227_n.jpg

167750_1686180245757_1575190608_31545498_5769207_n.jpg

Now with the mock up of the engine and the turbo, note the engine has to be moved down about 1"-1.5" and back about 1"-1.5", Turbo needs to be moved down about the same as the engine. I chose this placement for the turbo because I want to keep the front of the bay uncluttered. Also I will be modifying a bunch of stuff to make the turbo fit better in that area and try and make it all fit under the hood and cram a 4" downpipe and exhaust all the way to the back! Might be a long shot but I'm going to try! Oh yea and don't worry about mechanical fan as that will be removed!

197468_1753638292166_1575190608_31651424_4818767_n.jpg

189112_1753639852205_1575190608_31651426_2277827_n.jpg

More to come soon!

Edited by badboyz31

It can fit under the hood. Put it up front and mount the radiator forward of the support. Nice project by the way.

you think if I mount it up front like you or colt, that I will be able to squeeze a 4" exhaust in there some how?

I have been contemplating that idea too, I was going to test fit it in that area the other day, but the fan was in the way!

and thanks, I have gained a lot of knowledge from your build and I have you site as a quick reference to help me get ideas

Well I'm just gonna give it a shot, but I think I maybe able to squeeze one in there as I'm building tubular k-member for the car, might not work but I can only really tell once I get the engine, tranny, and starter in there once the new k- member is finished.

Edited by badboyz31

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so I finally got my JCI mount kit after a month of waiting, My only question is, what mount are you supposed to use for the drivers side of the engine?

plus I have gotten rid of that big hunking turbo and decided that I'm going to try something a little smaller for now and upgrade later. Another thing is my car has a good amount of rust, but as of now I'm going through and fixing all that, because around here it's not very often that I stubble upon a 240z for so cheap, and I'm not going to scrap it in fear of not finding another one!

Ok so I finally got my JCI mount kit after a month of waiting, My only question is, what mount are you supposed to use for the drivers side of the engine?

plus I have gotten rid of that big hunking turbo and decided that I'm going to try something a little smaller for now and upgrade later. Another thing is my car has a good amount of rust, but as of now I'm going through and fixing all that, because around here it's not very often that I stubble upon a 240z for so cheap, and I'm not going to scrap it in fear of not finding another one!

1. You need an f-body clamshell engine mount. I have one that I'd let go of for $50 to your door. (sounds like alot, but new ones are pricey and used are hard to find)

2. What size / make / AR turbo are you going with?

PM me if you're interested in that engine mount, I can get it in the mail tomorrow.

well to be honest, this car is probably going to be going bye bye due to the massive amounts of rust!

I will basically just be throwing the whole engine setup in my z31, which has no rust and a lot of suspension work and needs a better power plant! Plus today I'm supposed to be picking up a 83 280zx as my new DD, that's in mint condition!

So now I will just have this JCI mount kit for sale!