HybridZ

Need help on CAM shaft selection

datsky

Hi guys.

Recently I picked up a N42 head from a 75 EFI 280Z at pick-a-part. The head looks good. What happen was, when I pulled the head out of the block, I found the block has flat top piston. From what I heard, the N42 block is originally come with dish piston. Since the block has flat top piston, it may be a good chance the N42 head I picked up has performance cam. I do want to upgrade my cam shaft. If the cam shaft from the N42 head is already a performance cam shaft, all I need is to install flat top piston into my block. Is there anyway to find out the profile of the cam shaft with out sending it to the shop?

If this doesnt work, I may just buy or regrind my current cam shaft. I heard Isky cam is very good. Have anyone have experienced it? I also have found Webcam near local. They seems pretty good too.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/cam_glossary.html

please help me out on this. any input will be highly appreciated.

Webcam is off the 60 in Riverside, almost Moreno Valley.

Isky is off Gardena north of the 91, east of the 110, south of the 105.

El Inca Racing Cams is on the corner of PCH and Alameda.

Take your pick, they are ALL 'local' to ElMonte

Not all N42's were dish topped, mine isn't. It's a 1977 Cedric Company Car with and N42 head that has no EFI bungs cut in the ports. The preponderance of JDM engines sold as replacements in California makes any 'find' more a question of where the engine in the car came from. If it's pre 78, you can check the engine SN against the Engine Data plate on the strut tower. If they don't match, chances are good it's a replacement from somewhere and not necessarily any 'performance' anything. Just different.

Thank you very much Tony.

The N42 head is purchased from the Pick-A-Part. There is no way I can match the numbers up. Since I have it as a spare, I would just better off to send it in for cleaning. Maybe at the same time send the cam for grinding.

Is there any good shop for head job? Valve seat would be nice, and do it once for all. I have never done any head work before. At this point, I dont what kind of precaution need to be taken.

Thank you very much

Why didn't you just take the whole engine? And Isky cams are amazing. Get yourself a regrind.

I didn't know why I didn't take the whole engine. However, I broke the head stud while I was taking off the head. lol. I already have a N42 block installed in my Z, so all I need just a head.

I been thinking about to put a stock ZX flat piston into my N42 block with Isky grind cam. Since I have never done this before, I wonder what is the best cam profile for the flat top piston? My main concern is the valve will be push too far and contact with the piston. will .500 life & 260 duration too much for flat top piston? thanks for advise.

If you aren't buying springs, you are limited to around 460" lift, making your question academic until knowing which springs to buy. You stated a drop in cam from what I inferred, that means no springs, and no springs means nothing over 460 or 470. This is all in the archives.

If you aren't buying springs, you are limited to around 460" lift, making your question academic until knowing which springs to buy. You stated a drop in cam from what I inferred, that means no springs, and no springs means nothing over 460 or 470. This is all in the archives.

THank you very much for the Info. Upgrade spring sounds sweet for what it can do. Spring + valve seat + cam all together are good enough for street tune for me. Since I'm not aiming for track, I'm more looking toward street comfort driving. At least, when I enter the freeway, I don't have to worry about the back coming car will bump into my rear end. lol. All I need is 20HP added to OEM power.

460" lift cam + OEM spring + valve seat + flat piston are all I need. will this work?

Thanks for all of your advises. Have a good day

Isky does regrinds for around $120. You should buy their springs and retainers as well, though, and the total price will be around $400 when all is said and done.

I've had great success with Valley Engine and Machine in Fountain Valley. They rebuilt my P90a head that is currently in my car while the P90 with my Isky cam and Slover port job sits on the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Isky does regrinds for around $120. You should buy their springs and retainers as well, though, and the total price will be around $400 when all is said and done.

I've had great success with Valley Engine and Machine in Fountain Valley. They rebuilt my P90a head that is currently in my car while the P90 with my Isky cam and Slover port job sits on the shelf.

$400 is affortable and sounds good. However. I really would like to put a flat top piston into my Z. Finally I got my 75 2+2 running after been sitting in the garage for almost 20 yrs. Spent like almost 1k to bring it back to the street. At this point, I would just leave it as is since my wallet is on E now. lol

It is still good to collect all these infos. Whenever I got my wallet filled up, I know what to do. My aim is to get 160-180whp for daily driving with affortable price.

Thank all of you guys' info.