HybridZ

Recommended Location ECM for Daily Driver LS1

I am in the process of having a LS1 conversion. The builder would like to know the best locaton for the ECM and components.

I am using an LS1 crate engine, stock ECM, and having a custom engine harness made with emissions deletes. With the custom harness, I would think that would make using inside the cabin as a good idea?

I would think that in th cabin would be a recommended location, but input from those experienced would be great. All recommendations or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Pictures and descriptions would be great since I will need to supply them with specifics.

Thank you for your help on this.

Jeff

Edited by jeff81

I mounted the PCM right next to the Battery. However I am using an entire car wiring harness from a 2002 TransAM thus my PCM location was determined more by the harness layout.

I'm using the same harness as you and I was able to get the PCM mounted behind the glovebox (280z) no problem - And it makes the engine compartment installation look much cleaner IMHO

You should give it a try

I'm using the same harness as you and I was able to get the PCM mounted behind the glovebox (280z) no problem - And it makes the engine compartment installation look much cleaner IMHO

You should give it a try

Same harness as in the entire 2002 TransAm under hood harness, interior harness, and engine harnesses? Including all fuse blocks? Where did you mount the connectors that mates the under hood harness to the interior harness? You know the 3 inch square one that has 10's of connectores that mate underhood with the interior. When the entire car harness is used the process of locating the PCM inside is greately increased.

Possible thread jack here, so scold me and I'll start a new thread, but where do the "tuner" programs plug into the wiring/computer system for laptop modifications to engine tune? Same question for diagnostics port? I do not have any of the interior wiring harness; only the engine/trans harness from a pull-out.

Same harness as in the entire 2002 TransAm under hood harness, interior harness, and engine harnesses? Including all fuse blocks? Where did you mount the connectors that mates the under hood harness to the interior harness? You know the 3 inch square one that has 10's of connectores that mate underhood with the interior. When the entire car harness is used the process of locating the PCM inside is greately increased.

Hey - Most of that stuff is not required so I had a local place delete it when I had my PCM reprogrammed. I now have only one fuse block in the stock harness. Essentially though, there were no modifications made to the length in any sections, especially from the plugs that go to the PCM to where it splits - so you have the same amount of length in that section that all of us do in the regard... If you look at the location of your PCM and then imagine it on the opposite side of the firewall in basically the same location, there's enough space even with yours to do so if you desire

Edited by kj280z

Hey - Most of that stuff is not required so I had a local place delete it when I had my PCM reprogrammed. I now have only one fuse block in the stock harness. Essentially though, there were no modifications made to the length in any sections, especially from the plugs that go to the PCM to where it splits - so you have the same amount of length in that section that all of us do in the regard... If you look at the location of your PCM and then imagine it on the opposite side of the firewall in basically the same location, there's enough space even with yours to do so if you desire

You know my layout better than I do! I probably spent 60 hours identifiying all the circuits, and then modifying and mounting fuse/relay blocks in the engine compartment. The interior harness and the under hood harness along with the engine harness all connect to the PCM. It may not be necessary for your installation but it was for mine.

I rewired the entire car at the same time. Mine is a RHD but by creating a hole right down on the bellhousing part of the transmission tunnel, rather than the firewall, I had plenty of options to position the ecu, relays and fuses - no problems for a LHD. The other items on the 'electrical board' are a Mongoose immobilizer and the GM cruise control from the donor car.

post-1266-047687400 1301178507_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Possible thread jack here, so scold me and I'll start a new thread, but where do the "tuner" programs plug into the wiring/computer system for laptop modifications to engine tune? Same question for diagnostics port? I do not have any of the interior wiring harness; only the engine/trans harness from a pull-out.

The OBD2 port is the where the tuner gets plugged into. You have to get a GM plug (can get off a gm truck from junkyard) and wire it to your harness. It's only four wires to get it hooked up

OBD-II_Pinout.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I got an ODB port from the guy who sold me my engine/trans. Trying to get everything packed up to go to wait4meperformance. I'm searching tonight for a thread that named all the things that need to get eliminated from the PCM so I can tell wait4me what I want.

Keith

Thanks guys. I got an ODB port from the guy who sold me my engine/trans. Trying to get everything packed up to go to wait4meperformance. I'm searching tonight for a thread that named all the things that need to get eliminated from the PCM so I can tell wait4me what I want.

Keith

You can also just call Hannah or Jesse and talk through it with them. They did mine a few months ago and Hannah asked me questions necessary to determine what needed to be kept (i.e. what fueling, fans, emissions would I be running, etc...)

• 1 month later...