HybridZ

Z32 Turbo Prices

Gollum

Sorry, Freudian slip on the seat belts. Still looking for NON-Door mounted seatbelt, aka the later ones.

I personally don't care if it's OBD-II, and actually prefer it. If I'm going to break open the OEM ECU to tune it OBD codes will be the least of my worries come time to smog.

Maybe you do perfer the obd 2 but realize that

1. Untuneable

and

2. Variable Valve timing is dropped on the 96 models decreasing horsepower.

But if you are unconcerned about performance and want to keep the planet green, then a 96 would seem a logical choice. I would also just go ahead and look for an NA too. They are much cheaper. My brother got a 1996 300zx NA for $5k with only 70k miles on it in near perfect condition...

RHD may not make not make any difference to you, but it's a big deal for me. Moreover, I am not in Canada; therefore, what you posted is irrelevant.

Er, yeah, the those trees are in the way of me seeing all the forest as well... :rolleyes:

As to OBD2, what of the Nisstune? Most domestic OBD2 ECU's are far more tuneable through laptop (to the equivalent levels of a Standalone...) than earlier 'dumb' ecus are, this is only a matter of time and or demand on Nissan Products. I'm not sure what the CONSULT capabilities are, but between that and aftermarket tuning hacks, the 'requirement' to go standalone is quickly disapearing, and in some cases makes you give up features that are performance tailored to the specific vehicle.

I don't know where the 'cooling' thread went in the local change, but I think you can see a very late model Z32 Box on JeffP's engine. I know he tweaked his 90 box with Nisstune, and he scoured the junkyards for some later boxes with VVT or other quirks like the Maxima VG with a single O2 sensor, etc.

I mean a good clean N/A grafted with a low mileage 98 or 99 JDM Turbo drivetrain...HybridZ anybody?

Edited by Tony D

Er, yeah, the those trees are in the way of me seeing all the forest as well... :rolleyes:

As to OBD2, what of the Nisstune? Most domestic OBD2 ECU's are far more tuneable through laptop (to the equivalent levels of a Standalone...) than earlier 'dumb' ecus are, this is only a matter of time and or demand on Nissan Products. I'm not sure what the CONSULT capabilities are, but between that and aftermarket tuning hacks, the 'requirement' to go standalone is quickly disapearing, and in some cases makes you give up features that are performance tailored to the specific vehicle.

I don't know where the 'cooling' thread went in the local change, but I think you can see a very late model Z32 Box on JeffP's engine. I know he tweaked his 90 box with Nisstune, and he scoured the junkyards for some later boxes with VVT or other quirks like the Maxima VG with a single O2 sensor, etc.

I mean a good clean N/A grafted with a low mileage 98 or 99 JDM Turbo drivetrain...HybridZ anybody?

OBD 2 is only on the shitty 1996 model.

1995 had a chipable 16 bit ecu.

1990-1994 had a chipable 8 bit ecu.

Every ECU is chippable, it's just weather or not someone has done the legwork to interpret the code, which could also be encrypted. Look at the new GTR, which nissan said they were going farther than ever to make sure it's computer wasn't crackable, and companies had it figured out just months later....

Again, OBD-II isn't a huge issue for me, especially as I don't plan on going psycho crazy on it, as it would be my wife's car. Maybe I should be LOOKING for a '96 if people are scared to buy because it's "unchippable".

And regarding the VVT, I'm not convinced much power was dropped, if any. Nissan rated it at 300hp at the same RPM, and by '96 SAE power testing had already gotten pretty standardized. If anything it was underrated to begin with maybe, but if nissan wasn't making their claim then people would have raised hell about it like RX8 owners did. If anything it probably decrease low end torque a little, and possibly raised boost threshold by as much as a possible 500rpm (which even that would be extreme). Peak figures are the same, indicating they probably kept the top end the same. Remember, many times VVT type technology isn't for more top end, but for more bottom end. By removing the VVT and extra low end grunt they were making it easier to pass emission standards.

Edited by Gollum

Dropping VVT drops the 300zx by 20 horsepower...

Maybe you can design and develope an obd2 chip to sell to all of the 1996 owners? :)

But seriously... Look into NA's. Your not interested in performance and some in very good shape are going for decently cheap.

Heres my source so you know im not blowing smoke.. http://www.premierz.com/what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-300zx/

1996 300zx Na sounds like a perfect car for you.

Edited by B00STDZ