HybridZ

Pinion bearing preload?

heavy85

Replacing bearings in the R200 and see there is no shoulder to press the pinion ball bearing up against. I dont have a FSM so does anyone know how you gauge how far to press the bearing in?

PS - I'm installing an OBX at the same time and it's a real POS. Looks like it was machined with a blow torch but that's a different story.

PPS - R200 bearings are just about unobtanium

Thanks

Cameron

Edited by heavy85

It's been a while, but I would swear that the last one I did had a shoulder to bottom on. Could be I'm remembering wrong. Regardless, I think what matters is that the seal bottoms (I say this because I didn't bottom the seal and it dragged on the backside of the companion flange). I'm nearly positive the housing has a groove in it for the seal becaues you can see it in the FSM. I think if you get the position of the ball bearing slightly wrong, it will adjust itself out when you crank down on the pinion nut. I checked a 72, 78, and 87 FSM (thanks for the links Kyle) and found no spec on ball bearing depth. So basically, I'd push it in until the race is flush with the lip for the pinion seal if that is the only machined surface to gauge depth off of.

BTW pinion bearing preload is set by the spacer between the two tapered bearings, not the spacer between the front tapered bearing and the ball bearing.

Edited by JMortensen