HybridZ

Blacked-out turn signals

misterZ

I bought a can of VHT black out paint (Fleabay) and did the front turn signals (one coat); I plan to install my 240Z valance (w/turn signal deletes) and BRE spoiler next (all black front end). I considered doing a light coat on the marker lights too but kinda on the fence about that.

blackout.jpg

[EDIT:] Decided to go with one light coat on the side markers and two coats on the turn signals buffed w/ Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 (fine scratch/blemish remover). The sun was 'long' and the fact I was shooting into it doesn't do the finished product justice. ~**Pay no attention to the rust!**~ :wink:

I also reversed the direction of the lens:

lightblackout.jpg

longsun.jpg

rust.jpg

lightsoff.jpg

Edited by misterZ

Blacking out the lights is a DOT no no and can result in a ticket in all 50 states. DOT requires reflectors on both ends of the car and Datsun used the trun signal lense as the reflector. If you park on the side of the road and are hit at night it could be your fault. If you look at all of the new cars you will see a small reflector the front and rear of the cars.

Blacking out the lights is a DOT no no and can result in a ticket in all 50 states. DOT requires reflectors on both ends of the car and Datsun used the trun signal lense as the reflector. If you park on the side of the road and are hit at night it could be your fault. If you look at all of the new cars you will see a small reflector the front and rear of the cars.

They all still reflect; no worries there. :wink:

I'm just saying when I'm creeping out to make a turn with a long nose car I would rather have people see a bright reflection from my corner lights then some dimmed blurp. Corner lights are there for that reason.

I think they would look good with a darker paint. The contrast from your "lighter" color paint makes it seem out of place. Could be just me though.

I think they would look good with a darker paint. The contrast from your "lighter" color paint makes it seem out of place. Could be just me though.

Looks better in person; don't go by the first picture as the markers are untouched. It was an after thought to put a light coat of paint on them (subsequent pictures) as I thought they looked 'out of place' with the turn signals darker and markers left alone.