HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Huge numbers... And how the hell did you get that thing sooooo light? WOW... Mine is a pig. We're still above 2600 even with all the work done to lighten it with component swaps...

I need to get mine on a generous dyno for some mega numbers...

Congrats!

Mike

I am not sure if that would be considered a "Generous Dyno", its just the numbers its putting out. I thought from the beginning the way the motor is built and all these numbers were right in line. I'm thinking they will probably increase slightly once we've gone through our break in period. It's the same motor that my frind has in his Corvette World Challenge car and it does the same in that car. He has a 2011 Camaro that he put it in and they put a supercharger on it and it puts out a 1000hp. Before you say anything...........I DONT NEED A BLOWER OR A SUPERCHARGER. I'm good.

As far as the weight. Remember that all the panels on my car, except for the roof and cowl is fiberglass. The interior is completly stripped and minimal. Carbon fiber dash, no gauges. All the suspension is Billet, The motor is aluminum. It was weighed without the passenger seat (if I'm racing solo I dont need it obviously). Even the battery is a no weight battery race battery. Add all those things up and this is what you get.

Matt

UPDATE......

1. Ive decided to wrap the car instead of paint it. Talking to a few guys about that now.

2. We have completed the fuel cell and oil tank surround with lightweight aluminum and it looks great. (photo attached)

3. I did some seat time and found out the power steering had no feedback. Our logic was that the more rubber on the road the more assist you need. WRONG....... We ordered a new pump with much less pressure and it seems much better. It had a larger pully so we had to get a new serpintine belt, which actually has better give. The other was real tight on the tentioner.

4. The Razor oil pump was leaking from the seal being oinched so we had to rebuild it......It was brand new.

5. Boxing in the radiator as we speak in the G-nose.

6. Atlanta Motorsports Park is opening up this next week for track time. They just sent out an e mail that they are going to keep all cars with slicks off the track for possibly up to two months. They dont want to tear up the track. I'm wondering if they consider my Hoosier R6's slicks? They are DOT approved tires. That's gonna suck if I can't even take it to the track I've been waiting for over two years to open up. I do have other events to attend but I was looking forward to setting up the car there. Damn....

7. Got the new front and rear sway bars installed.

Spent some time with Scott Pruitt up at AMP this past weekend. He has plenty of experience with Z cars. He won the 24 hour at Daytona in one, more than I'll ever say. He told me of when he was a kid his brother and he had a 260 that they tubo charged and would terrorize the neiborhood in it. He has alway's loved the form of a Z and it didn't hurt when he said he loved what I had done with my car and would love to drive it. That would be cool to have his data in my car and then compare my times against his. It might be hard to ever achieve what he can do but it would be cool to see the cars potential in the hands of a seasoned professional under race conditions.

All for now........

Matt

post-13190-083135100 1334275002_thumb.jpg

post-13190-000435400 1334275099_thumb.jpg

post-13190-028982500 1334275128_thumb.jpg

Matt,

I'm looking at doing some events at AMP with these guys (link below). I've run with them before and it's usually a pretty good time. Let me know if you are planning on going to any of their events and I'll try to get there to check out your awesome ride.

http://tracksunlimited.net/

Zack,

I am not going to say I wouldn't love to come and join you but I am probably not going to spend a lot of money running events at a track I pay dues to run 180 days a year on. Like I said I am not saying no but the events I run and pay for will be at other tracks. This is where I am going to do my setup and practice at. We will see.

Feel free to call me and review the track prior to going for insight. It is a very demanding technical track that eats brakes and tires. Passing zones are pretty tight. Are you going just for fun run or are you in a competetive class?

Matt

Matt, I didn't realize you were a member there. That being said, I know the guys running the event and they might want be open to having someone who knows the track available for instruction. If you are at all interested in that let me know and I'll run it by them. If I lived a little closer, I could probably justify a membership too. I'm going 'just for fun'. At the moment I don't have any plans for competition in the Z.

Matt, I didn't realize you were a member there. That being said, I know the guys running the event and they might want be open to having someone who knows the track available for instruction. If you are at all interested in that let me know and I'll run it by them. If I lived a little closer, I could probably justify a membership too. I'm going 'just for fun'. At the moment I don't have any plans for competition in the Z.

I would be more than happy to help out in any way. I just recieved an e mail from AMP and they have cancelled the Chin event this weekend as they want the members to be able to track their cars before anyone else. I really dont care who drives it first because I will be out there plenty. That makes your event the first event for non members. They are opening up the track for us this coming week Thursday - Saturday. They have contracted for the time being with David Murray Track Instruction to provide guidence to all members. Regardless of experiance this is going to be a lot of lead follow to determine run groups. Remeber 75% of membes have no track experience. I am in agreement with this decision as I really dont want to get out there with someone who might have an accident trying to catch up with their EGO behind the wheel. I hope I can have my car at a point to be able to run some laps,(LONG STORY). I also am going to have to buy some street tires as they dont want any slicks on the track for a month.

Why dont you call me and we can discuss further. Four zero four two one eight zero five eight eight.

Matt

Edited by cobramatt

There is an old saying......If you tell two gearheads that if they spend $2000 on the a few components they will get another 100 HP out of their engine. They will respond "Hell yea, lets do it". If you say hey you ought to spend $800 on a new helmet because the one you have has a small crack in the back of it, they say "This ones fine, its just a hairline fracture".

I made a list of items to be checked prior to going to tech inspection just to be sure all was in order. Got a call back saying they had some bad news and was I sitting down........ Lovely........ My rollcage had some fractures in the roof welds. My first thought is, "I know enough people and could get it through tech fairly easily". Now you see my reason for the opening comment. Two ways of fixing it, romove the roof or tear it out and start over from scratch. I opted to have Robinson Racing fabricate and install a new cage. It is much nicer than the one I had. We went through the firewall and installed front and rear strut tower braces. In the end it is not only much safer but adds to the strength of the car. Now we have to re-run all the oil lines, breathers, catch cans, etc...

I have these mature moments of clairity that actually surprises even me. I dont think I am getting any wiser, I think I'm just getting older.

The opening of AMP is this weekend and I was so looking forward to going. NO CAR. The solution is that I have rented a World Challenge Corvette. I dont know if its cheaper than anti depresants, but its a hell of a lot better for the soul.

Also please follow our car (GTR) this year in the TIRE RACK One Lap of America. It starts in a few days. We won overall for the last two years. Wish us luck. TopSpeedTuned.com

Matt

post-13190-023626500 1335916501_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

Removed old roll cage and new one, Fabricated by Robinson Racing, installed. Great workmanship and its more roomy. They did a fantastic job in tucking all gaps. Very pleased, even though it was an unforseen setback.

Matt

post-13190-024573200 1336513125_thumb.jpg

post-13190-057169400 1336513157_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

I had a new strut tower brace fabricated. It ties in the shock towers on the new cage bars that we ran through the firewall. They know the paint scheme I'm doing so they got creative and did a little something extra. I think it turned out great.

Matt

post-13190-064137100 1336513687_thumb.jpg

Came across an old photo. This was taken in '79 and it was my 16th birthday. My mom bought me my first car as a present, '72- 240. It's crazy to think that it was only 7 years old then and I worked on it just as much as I work on my car these days, and it's over 40 years old now. I wish my mom was still around to see my z car these days.

Matt

post-13190-033473500 1336518439_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I'm taking her to the track (AMP) this Saturday. Just a shake down, set up and tech. VERY EXCITED...... She will then be going to VIR the following Sunday for a track day on Monday. Nissan North America will be there and they have no idea she is coming, so I think they will be very pleased with what we have done.

Been working on detail items. (pics attached)

1. Heat shields are in place.

2. Had a friend of mine machine me a custom gas pedal assembly that really came out great.

3. Took a picture of the remote Tilton reserviors for the brakes and clutch. Placed them under the cowl. Got rid of the old master cylinder.

4. Had to change the exhaust. She was just too loud and the noise restriction of 98 db was hard to overcome. We installed a MagnaFlow 2/1/2 and then did inserts. It really worked.

5. Brake ducts are in.

6. New transponder installed

7. She is going to get her wrap done next Thursday and Friday.

8. Battery box will go in tomorrow.

Now the push to talk system needs to be installed. The blower for my helmet installed, the NACA duct in the passenger quarter window. The smarty cams need to go in.

AND DAMN I THINK WE ARE JUST ABOUT FREAKIN DONE.............(theres always something that will need to worked on, such as our underbelly/splitter etc...)

I will be sure to post some video of her debut.

Matt

post-13190-099067800 1337908132_thumb.jpg

post-13190-029873600 1337908162_thumb.jpg

post-13190-089437200 1337908179_thumb.jpg

post-13190-045239200 1337908208_thumb.jpg

post-13190-001967500 1337908219_thumb.jpg

I wanted to also tell everyone how incredible AMP has turned out to be. I have been waiting for over two years to get this track built and it was worth the wait. Very technical. It has a nice fast section but all in all its on off on off on off. Going to be hell on tires. Been up every weekend for practice in a World Challenge Corvette. This weekend will be the first time in the Z. Thought I ought to post a picture from last Saturday that is never good to see but it happens. Blew the O2 sensor out of the down pipe. Happened right at the end of the front straight (at 150mph) in front of a crowd of people. Sounded like a gun going off. The only thing that went thru my mind was........"I hope that wasn't my brakes".

Matt

post-13190-025265800 1337909788_thumb.jpg

Looking good buddy.

I really appreciate it.

Giving credit where credit is due. I dont know if everyone knows you work for TopSpeed. Our race shop. The brake ducts, radiator box, new tail light, exhaust inserts, hood modification, and a host of other items were all done by John. He is so busy working on my car that he hasn't touched his Z in two months. Your car is next............

Thank you for all your hard work and friendship,

Matt

I really appreciate it.

Giving credit where credit is due. I dont know if everyone knows you work for TopSpeed. Our race shop. The brake ducts, radiator box, new tail light, exhaust inserts, hood modification, and a host of other items were all done by John. He is so busy working on my car that he hasn't touched his Z in two months. Your car is next............

Thank you for all your hard work and friendship,

Matt

No worries. I do what I can. You are truly a great friend and I truly don't mind not working on my Z. Rather work on yours anyways to be honest... I will call you first thing in the morning. And I will see you tomorrow.

UPDATE:

What a long holiday weekend. We were able to take the car to the track and do some very needed setup on the car. After a two year build to finally get her out on track is a great feeling. No major issues. Just had an incredible time all weekend long. Whats really cool is to have her on the grid along with a bunch of new exotics and everybody wants to look at her and talk about the old school ways.

post-13190-074419400 1338303594_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt