HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

DYNO run went well. She's putting out 550hp with 520 flbs of torque. She Plenty for a 2150 lb track car. We did figure a few things out that we are going to have to change.

1. The oil lines from the ARE dry sump tank need to be re done. I've come to find out that they need to be either level or declining towards the engine. I guess now that I think about it, in Nascar they build the car around the oil lines from the dry sump in the back for that very purpose. Just a dumb mistake but certainly can be fixed. When we take everything apart for paint and body we will then run the line down the tunnel with some heat shield. I take that back, we will run it where it works best.

2. The Walbro fuel pump is not strong enough. We would need two of them. We will probably just replace it and go with a Aeromotive A1000. That of course changes the tune so back to the dyno for a re tune. $$$

3. We changed the injectors from LS7 to LS9. It feeds it a little better.

4. Other than that, just some tweeking of small items. (Clutch, alignment, tighten some bolts, a few more braces for the exhaust, etc...)

post-13190-027812100 1327106011_thumb.jpg

DYNO run went well. She's putting out 550hp with 520 flbs of torque. She Plenty for a 2150 lb track car.

Awesome car. Is that weight confirmed, or is that just an estimate or what it weighed when Clifton had it. Giving me hope of still hitting my goal of 2250 lbs with 5.3 and T56 and more elaborate cage.

Awesome car. Is that weight confirmed, or is that just an estimate or what it weighed when Clifton had it. Giving me hope of still hitting my goal of 2250 lbs with 5.3 and T56 and more elaborate cage.

Those are my goals as well. Well not the hp and tq, my RB will be making less but I would like to try and make 400hp easily and try and get my weight the same if not lower then CobraMatt's weight. I will have a similar cage as him and the front end will be tubed. So only time will see.

No.... the weight is not confirmed, just an estimation of components and all fiberglass panels. When the time comes I will have exact numbers and I will share results.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Thought this might appeal to someone out there. I did an episode of "My Ride Rules" for the Speed Channel and some of the other contestants were over at my house when we were filming. They saw my Z build in the garage and said "Hey, can you start it up. I'd love to hear it." YOU ASKED FOR IT............ The episode is going to be on in April or there abouts. I drove my '67 Shelby GT 500. I'll post when I know the exact date of when it's going to be on if anyone cares to watch it. It was a lot of fun.

240GTZ garage start up.mov

Thought this might appeal to someone out there. I did an episode of "My Ride Rules" for the Speed Channel and some of the other contestants were over at my house when we were filming. They saw my Z build in the garage and said "Hey, can you start it up. I'd love to hear it." YOU ASKED FOR IT............ The episode is going to be on in April or there abouts. I drove my '67 Shelby GT 500. I'll post when I know the exact date of when it's going to be on if anyone cares to watch it. It was a lot of fun.

Almost had an F1 rev sound when in the garage....awesome !!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, its time to start thinking about the Aero on the car. I am about to take the IMSA three piece tail off and purchace an AeroMotive S2 static wing. Lots of data and seems a very good application for us. Purchased carbon fiber dive planes for the front, fairly simple process. In all my reasearch I have yet to see or speak to someone who has a functional, durable splitter on a Z with a G-nose. We are going to use Tydex 1/2 inch and make it ourselves. We'll see how it turns out. I would like to panel the bottom of the car but we are limited as to how smooth we can get. It was never designed to be flatbottomed. We will do our best. I was goofing around on photoshop and mocked up a diffuser that has given me some direction on the way we want to go there. This is actually the hardest part of all the phases. I'm gonna need help with this. I actually love fabricating and doing a one off car so to say, but there are times when I wish I could just open a cataloug and look under Datsun Aero and it would all be right there. So much for that........

Is it just me or does it seem like the closer you get to finishing a project the more key components of a build pop up and take forever??? I'm about to say F... It and take her to the track.

ExhaustMock2.psd

Edited by cobramatt

I'd correct that in saying you'll be able to leave "some" porsches behind. I know this is a "Zcar" forum, but some of us have had experiences from both sides of the wheel. All that said, I'd much rather be evenly matched to have some other cars to play with. The faster I got in my Porsche Twin Turbo, the less fun track days became. By the time I sold it last fall, there were very few RACECARS that would keep up with my street car.

You want to have someone to chase and play with... A bunch of someones, even better!

I have been enjoying my LS1 240 over the last couple years and ~30 track events. Yes you will be leaving Porsches behind ... assuming you can drive :). What tracks are you planning to run? Have you thought about ground clearance with that exhaust? I would have none in that location under the diff.

Cameron

Matt, Let me give you a little advice... Don't let this car sit forever while you're sorting all the small details. If you can get the car out on the track and start de-bugging it (enjoying it) you'll be happier. Mine has less than 200 miles in 10 years of long, drawn out build. I'd get it on the track as soon as you can so you can chase down all the other "little" things.

I've been working with kydex for about two years now. You'll probably get away with about 3/8th inch kydex for the splitter. I'd also think long and hard about that rear difuser. We got some really good advice from the engineers when we were at the windtunnel in 2007. There's good reason why I've not bothered with it.

Enjoying reading about your build. Takes away from the frustration and Thousands spent on mine!

Mike

Ok, its time to start thinking about the Aero on the car. I am about to take the IMSA three piece tail off and purchace an AeroMotive S2 static wing. Lots of data and seems a very good application for us. Purchased carbon fiber dive planes for the front, fairly simple process. In all my reasearch I have yet to see or speak to someone who has a functional, durable splitter on a Z with a G-nose. We are going to use Tydex 1/2 inch and make it ourselves. We'll see how it turns out. I would like to panel the bottom of the car but we are limited as to how smooth we can get. It was never designed to be flatbottomed. We will do our best. I was goofing around on photoshop and mocked up a diffuser that has given me some direction on the way we want to go there. This is actually the hardest part of all the phases. I'm gonna need help with this. I actually love fabricating and doing a one off car so to say, but there are times when I wish I could just open a cataloug and look under Datsun Aero and it would all be right there. So much for that........

Is it just me or does it seem like the closer you get to finishing a project the more key components of a build pop up and take forever??? I'm about to say F... It and take her to the track.

Edited by Mikelly