HybridZ

Blew it up today...

cygnusx1

I am not sure how the broken skirts came about. There is an odd chance that they broke when we restarted the motor, to get it off the truck, up my driveway, and into my garage. The jumper box got wrapped in the throttle linkage causing it to stick. She bounced off the rev limiter for a second or two, in a dead cold state, before I killed the ignition. We will never know for sure. The phone camera accentuated the crosshatch by about 10x. See a few posts up, to see what it looks like to the naked eye.

It's possible someone took a hone to it before I owned the motor. The ID of the bores is inside factory spec. It's going to be bored 20 over next week anyhow.

Edited by cygnusx1

Hey Dave-

Been off the net a while, and just saw this thread. Bummer about the motor, but thx for sharing. I really enjoyed the video....brought back a lot of memories from when I was thrashing my 510 around Lime Rock 25 years ago. Amazingly, the track looks pretty much the same now as it did then! I remember when all the locals were threatening to shut the track down...looks like they haven't been successful yet (fortunately!!). It really is a nice little track in a beautiful area....it'd be a shame to lose it.

Good luck with the fixes.

r/John

• 2 weeks later...

Darn, I was swapping the E31 "A" cam into the P90 head when I noticed that the dowel pin hole on the old "A" cam is completely surrounded by a crack in the casting. :o Hoping Joe has an "A" cam in his attic so i can go pick it up and resume progress. The engine should have been in the car today but I'll hold off until I locate another cam.

• 2 weeks later...