HybridZ

Thoughts on how to handle a situation

kj280z

Ron - I understand - that wasn't my post though

Yeah, it was mine...and I didn't say 'totally justify' simply that it would partially justify discussing that option with the buyer.

Really what can you do with the USPS when you're hamstrung like this? I have said what I have done, and yes one of my shipments went missing. Totally. And I filed all the postal claims and it took even longer to get recompense from the post office. And that token response from them was little solace for the guy wanting parts that didn't exist in my hoarding any longer.

But in the meantime, the buyer/recipient had somewhat of a good feeling knowing with all the photos and shipping receipts I'd sent the day of the shipment, that indeed it was not anybody's fault but the postal service. I didn't tell him to 'deal with it' since of all ironies the SHIPPER has to file all documents and claims with the US Post Office! Ken doesn't have any recourse BUT to deal with them, but if him no relief for his troubles...there's not much more he can do.

Other than simply tell the guy to hold steady for another couple of weeks and hope it shows up.

Well

Thanks everyone for your opinions

I think I'm just going to take my chances and send another one to Norway (it's the last one I have) - If he get's two of them, then so-be-it

I'll follow Tony's advice and take photo's of everything, email the pics, email a copy of the receipt and I'll call that the best I can do. If that's not good enough well then, I'm not sure what more I could do...

I envision the first part that I mailed sitting on the floor in the original unopened package sitting under someones desk, where all of a sudden the light will come on and they'll push it along to it's destination :)

Ken, that last sentence may be your undoing. Prep for shipment and if it doesn't arrive in 21 days... argh, mail another one and call it 'all you could do'... Really unless they buck up for insured shipment, you've effectively cut that original sale margin in two. The guy should reimburse you for the second shipment in arrears, that is, after receipt of proof of shipping costs in your e-mail.

But this is only my opinion. Sucks he has to pay twice to get it, but sucks you have to send TWO without getting paid for the second one. At least he should offer to split the second shipment cost with you so you're not out 2X for that as well.

Ken, that last sentence may be your undoing. Prep for shipment and if it doesn't arrive in 21 days... argh, mail another one and call it 'all you could do'... Really unless they buck up for insured shipment, you've effectively cut that original sale margin in two. The guy should reimburse you for the second shipment in arrears, that is, after receipt of proof of shipping costs in your e-mail.

But this is only my opinion. Sucks he has to pay twice to get it, but sucks you have to send TWO without getting paid for the second one. At least he should offer to split the second shipment cost with you so you're not out 2X for that as well.

Well Tony, he has been patient and I'm trying to be a nice guy about it - It's not a super expensive part so I figure eating the shipping a second time to try to make it right is my best option...

If anyone knows of a way to get a small package to Norway that I can utilize tracking and possibly insuring it, I'm all ears! FEDEX wanted to charge a ridiculous amount for it so we already eliminated that as an option

Define "Ridiculous"...

$124 for a 'indeginous manufactured water pipe of moroccan origin' and a Fez seems ridiculous, but then again it showed up in 3 1/2 days and I could track it and it was insured for an exorbitant amount to cover both shipping and parts cost if it got lost!

DHL, UPS both have overseas freight via air freight. Is this a large or bulky item???

What are the rough dimensions of the package? This would help in determining shipping company or method. upakweship.com, all sorts of options but its obviously larger than or heavier than an exhaust manifold. There was an option to surface or air freight the exhaust manifold. One went surface, and you already know that story. The other went air for considerably more and was there in 4 days.

Edited by Tony D

I learned something about the post office today.

After having gone to my local post office in the past and got the run around, I decided to bring the part to work and took it to the large post office near where I work.

What a completely different experience!!

I was able to ship it with insurance AND tracking and it was CHEAPER than the first time we sent it!!!

I also think I figured out why the first one never made it - A part of the address was missing... hopefully it's right this time

The most interesting part is that I was able to send it priority mail and it will be there in 7-10 days!!!

Lesson learned - If you're dealing with a small post office that doesn't ever do much than deliver mail to your neighborhood, you might be better off trying a different one! It was a COMPLETELY different experience!!

Edited by kj280z

Always send the it Priority Mail International if you use USPS. You can even track it on their web site using the Customs Declaration number. And if your customer complains about the shipping cost, ask him to arrange shipping from his end and you'll make sure to hand it to the carrier when they show up at your door.