HybridZ

Buying a Z and looking for opinions on options i have

Hello Hybridz im new to the forum and i would like to know your opinion on 2 cars im looking at getting.

im looking for a daily driver.

i found this 77 280

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2317632459.html

only thing is those flares don't look properly installed but what do you think? maybe its just the tiny wheels and tires or poor lowering method?

or this 74 260

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2316048215.html

this car would just need to change the transmission oil.

so any input would be greatly appreciated thanks alot guys.

I wouldn't trust that 280 as far as I could throw it. Those flares arn't meant for that car. You can check it out, but I'd be sceptical

My thoughts exactly... They are wrong.. Also don't trust a recently painted car unless they had a reputable bodyshop and a paint warranty to go along with it. you don't know if it's been done right, or if they are covering inches of bondo. We've heard a lot of horrorstories..

The second car is apparently already gone so you're going to have to keep looking. Also consider looking through AZ and NM and TX lists as well since we've got a lot of low rust cars that have just been waiting for someone to buy them and it's only a few 100 bucks to ship to Cali...

Yea no way im getting that 280. owner says it will need new clutch, replace water pump and timing belt soon.

im lookin bro thanks.

Apparently that guy knows nothing about Z's even though he supposedly put tons of money into it. He says it has a Inline V6? and that it has a timing belt? they have timing chains not belts I would stay away from it just from the fact that he knows nothing about the car.

Apparently that guy knows nothing about Z's even though he supposedly put tons of money into it. He says it has a Inline V6? and that it has a timing belt? they have timing chains not belts I would stay away from it just from the fact that he knows nothing about the car.

Gotcha staying away thanks bro.

hows about this?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2314961248.html

That looks a lot better, Seems a much better platform to start off with. What are your plans for your Z? Resto-mod,Hybrid,Restoration,racer?

Restore/Mod for daily use. remove rust/get it running as best as possible/drop: )

it would be my first car pretty much i only had my previous car for a couple months.

Restore/Mod for daily use. remove rust/get it running as best as possible/drop: )

it would be my first car pretty much i only had my previous car for a couple months.

Pretty much the same as me but I'm 5 years into the build and hopefully will be done this summer. :D

The last car you posted looks good for that, Get something you can drive and work on at the same time, it sucks not being able to drive the car for a long period of time, I only drove mine once.

Pretty much the same as me but I'm 5 years into the build and hopefully will be done this summer. :D

The last car you posted looks good for that, Get something you can drive and work on at the same time, it sucks not being able to drive the car for a long period of time, I only drove mine once.

Hahah from what i have heard you are neeever done with these lol

Yea i spoke to the owner he said his local Z shop tweaked his engine for performance? didnt say much about it but he said id have to "untweak" it for smog it was all very confusing lol

car is sweeet lookin tho.

i have spring break soon so ill use that as extra time to shop so i won't jump on anything abruptly.

yeah that one looks better. I'd still be concerned about rust, so please search on here for the common rust locations. The Rims on that one look like the Sport rims from the 78' Black pearl. They're rare enough in anycase, so if you get that car hold on to the rims, or at least sell them to someone who knows what they are and will use them. If the car won't pass emmissions in his selling form then, you need to have him take it in to have it detuned, for sport, whatever that means. If the car is in decent shape, it should pass emmissions, tho since you're in Cali you might need to find an experienced shop to look it over BEFORE you buy it. the Seller should not have a problem with that unless he's hiding something.

Glad you stayed away from the first `77; JDM? come on... the flares appeared to be bolted on over the fenders (peaking out) instead of cut, looks silly. Those fender mirrors are just way too funny... mounted wrong and defeats the original purpose of them (anyone that has driven in Japan knows what I'm talking about).

This last find has great potential and I'm certain you could talk down to $2800. (maybe lower); makes me sick to see these prices considering what I paid for my clean CA car. Good luck and take your time but I'd say this one is a potential keeper. :icon14:

Btw, I agree on those wheels being from the `78 Black Pearl. Also, anyone else notice the blackout turn signals and markers like I just did to my car? ...and I thought I had something there. Pfft :wink:

Edited by misterZ

Thanks Pharaohabq and misterz for help and advice guys.

Pharaohabq he said he would untune and smog it for me before sale...

And mister Z Yea first thing i noticed were the awkward fitment on those flares.

and i think 2800 might be as low as he might go he wasn't too enthusiastic when i asked if his price was negotiable.

also i found this 240z

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2312907644.html

its over my budget but i sent an email to the owner and he said he has a couple guys lined up that might buy but if they flake he'll call me and accept the offer.

and this 240 just came up on CL couple hours ago

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/2321954178.html

i have not even contacted seller but thought id show you guys whats on my mind.

Those two last ones are very clean looking and are off to a pretty good start on tasteful mods. I'd check out that orange one for 3500. Seems legit.

Talked to the guy with the orange Z.

says to be a daily it would need new rings and it smokes a bit.

it pretty sweet lookin' tho.

From any future engine swap, I thought you all had to have pre 75 year cars? Unless of course you put all the emissions from the year motor that you install on the car and it has to be newer, not older.

75 and older are good to go in terms of not getting the car smogged every other year. Technically I could still get pulled over and sent to get my car checked out for not having a cat. If I do an engine swap, that is also apt to get me sent to the referee station and probably a huge fine if I don't have the swap authorized.

Talked to the guy with the orange Z.

says to be a daily it would need new rings and it smokes a bit.

it pretty sweet lookin' tho.

So it smokes because it needs rings? Depending on how bad you could still daily it. My Z smokes because on deceleration because of the valves but I dd'ed it for over a year. Just put some oil in it every now and then and call it good! :lol:

2800 is a lot of money for a 280z in California. I would keep looking. And jsm is Right u should stick with 1975 and back z cars due to smog. I have seen tons of cheap z's with in a 100-200 miles from here for a better cost that that.

Yeah I searched for months for mine. Paid 2400 and it came with a box of new and old parts B)