HybridZ

Looking for windshield rubber alternative

I'm looking for an alternative to the original style windshield gasket/weatherstrip/seal. The only thing that I have found is from Vintagerubber.com, who are in the process of creating what they call the "Cal" or "California Style" seal, which is a seal without the channel for the chrome trim piece. However, they have been working on it for quite some time, were planning on having it ready by this time this year, but still nothing.

With all of the other weatherstripping alternatives out there, I would think someone has to have put a non-Z windshield gasket in that worked. I want the same for the rear hatch, the look of a solid black trim with no chrome piece, yet more finished looking than simply leaving out the trim.

z2go, are you saying that there are no sources for the stock gasket that include the chrome strip? Or is it that you can't find one without the channel for the strip?

I need to replace my windshield but have been putting if off assuming that it will be a hassle to find someone who can source the gasket for our old cars. Like you, I wouldn't mind leaving the chrome off.

It would be nice if there was an alternative to the big bulky rubber. I bet a crafty professional windshield installer could find a way to mount the glass using modern materials to get a more flush install like on new cars.

Any pro glass guys out here in hybrid land?

I had Safelight install a new winshield in my Z. They had the windshield and gasket in stock and used my chrome. Even with the chrome stip it leaked on the bottom corners anyway. They "fixed it" by pushing some adhesive/sealer between the gasket and the glass. Makes me wonder if they had just used that adhesive/sealer when they installed it I wouldn't need the strip at all.

Edited by deja