HybridZ

Front Caliper position

I have noticed that the calipers on a stock s30 in the front are mounted on the 2-3 oclock position on the rotor if looking at the rotor from the outside of the car.

Can you switch the suspension assembly to reverse the caliper mounting to ensure proper bleeding on using other brake calipers?

Like take the right lower assembly and install on the left side(mounts that connect to strut tube). And take the left lower assembly and install on the right side?

I notice some use a bracket but this seems to not be a very solid mount for the caliper unless it is welded to the acual assembly.

Is it possible to switch the assemblys though? Just out of curiousity...

And why I would be interested in mounting infront of the hub center line is because I was wanting to switch out to z32 front brakes. I have recently aquired a low miles set for free. stock z32/240sx late model/nissan skyline gtr brakes carry the same bolt pattern and mount infront of the hub center line. The skyline GTR front brakes being the most expensive/desirable.

Edited by B00STDZ

Is it possible to switch the assemblys though? Just out of curiousity...

And why I would be interested in mounting infront of the hub center line is because I was wanting to switch out to z32 front brakes. I have recently aquired a low miles set for free. stock z32/240sx late model/nissan skyline gtr brakes carry the same bolt pattern and mount infront of the hub center line. The skyline GTR front brakes being the most expensive/desirable.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but most folks who do a Z32 brake swap on a 240Z mount the calipers in the stock 240Z position. Do search here and on Google, the swap is well documented.

You want to keep it in the original position because the bleeder screws are set up so the air bubbles will bleed properly. Remember air rises up...

The original stock position of z32 calipers are 9-10 oclock. Stock s30 calipers are in the 2-3oclock position. This is if you are staring at the DRIVER side LHD of the car directly.

Look at a picture of a stock 300zx z32 and look at the caliper placement on the front wheels. Then look at the caliper placement on an s30. If you want to use the calipers on a z32 it would seem that it would be ideal to keep the stock position that they come on a 300zx, when you install them on a s30.

Edited by B00STDZ

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but most folks who do a Z32 brake swap on a 240Z mount the calipers in the stock 240Z position. Do search here and on Google, the swap is well documented.

wvbwar.jpg

What is circled in green is the "assembly" I am referring to. The caliper mount is welded to that. I say you take the right, put it on the left side and take the left and put it on the right side. Putting them on opposite sides would thus switch the position of the caliper into the position it is on a z32...

The discussion is really just about having the calipers either behind or in front of the struts right?

What is your logic behind thinking the calipers would work better in the "Z32" position? The look is subjective but how they work should have some thinking behind it. Curious...

The discussion is really just about having the calipers either behind or in front of the struts right?

What is your logic behind thinking the calipers would work better in the "Z32" position? The look is subjective but how they work should have some thinking behind it. Curious...

Not really. I was asking if the lower assemblies can be switched L to R R to L allowing the z32 caliper to mount in the same stock position as it is mounted on a 300zx

Edited by B00STDZ

I heard it was ideal for cooling. But after further reading I have done just now, they say it really doesnt matter all that much. They talked about the calipers mounted center most being better for weight transfer? So idk. Also they commented that you dont want the brakes too cool as they wont work properly? Maybe it would be better to just keep the stock position. Anyone have any input?

I just thought that because the z32's caliper was positioned that way and it being newer if you were to switch the calipers that you should retain the stock z32 caliper position.

Not really. I was asking if the lower assemblies can be switched L to R R to L allowing the z32 caliper to mount in the same stock position as it is mounted on a 300zx

I guess you could. I think you're missing something though, caliper position (clocking) as to do with the chassis not the caliper itself. Nissan designed the S30 to have the caliper clocked at the 2 to 3 position based on packaging considerations and their desired braking performance. The S30 is a front steer car.

If you decide to switch the strut tubes and brake brackets it will swap fine, I did the testing myself however the problem I ran into is that the caliper hits on the steering components. So if you were to run it you would have to raise the caliper to clear everything. I wanted to try but haven't yet is getting the Arizona Z car steering knuckle which in theory would drop the rack angle and everything else to help clear. I'm only running the solid disc 4 runner caliper the Z32 caliper is bigger so it could be more of an issue.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...