HybridZ

Drive shaft bolts for JCI driveshaft

Having trouble sourcing drive shaft bolts for my 240z/LS2 swap. I did search, so please nobody bawl me out. Ordered from smoorenc's source and part number a few weeks ago. What came in are 10.9 (?) spec fasteners. The bolt shank is only 1/4 inch, which doesnt span the interface between the diff flange and the thick JCI driveshaft flange. How have the GenIII/IV guys been working around this? I can't seem to find an internet bolt dealer that sells a true grade 8 - 8mm bolt. I am starting to think about drilling my flanges for the next higher size SAE bolt. I also don't know how important the length of the shank (unthreaded portion of bolt) is, but on my 240z driveshaft and half shaft bolts, it looks like Nissan put a lot of thought into it. I don't want to drop a driveshaft, even if it is only into my driveshaft loop. Any suggestions from the experts?

Hello,

The bolts you received with 10.9 markings (metric) are equivalent to a grade 8 SAE bolt. There are some minor differences but I would would not worry about them.

I am not a mechanical engineer but I would say you have the correct bolts already. There will be a little play but you need to put a measuring caliper on your bolt openings and the bolts. 35mm long bolts should be adequate. Below are a couple of links for you.

There is not much room up there when trying to tighten the driveshaft to the pinion flange and I believe JTR recommends a socket head bolt but don't quote me on that.

I received my pinion flange from JTR and not the Johns Conversions so there might be a difference.

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=20&cs=77&cm=22&cd=1328

Danno74Z

A bolt with partial threads vs a threaded bolt should not matter but again I'm not a mechanical engineer. A grade 10.9/8.0 bolt should spec. with or without threads at the grade specified. If I had a choice I would use a standard bolt with partial threads use red loctite or locking nuts with split washers.

I went to the garage and I measured the pinion flange bolt hole diameter and it's 8.07mm or .317inches. If your dead set on using SAE a 5/16(.3125)bolt should also work but based on my calculations a 8mm bolt would have less clearance (tighter fit)

then the 5/16 bolt.

I have to say an 8mm bolt is kind of wimpy for attaching the driveshaft and I also thought about enlarging the holes to 10mm. 10mm is about .394 or about 20thou over 3/8" way better in my opinion. I'm sure others will voice their opinions.

Edited by Danno74Z

Whether you go SAE or metric is not that important. The differance is negligible. What is important, as you seen to indicate that you already know,is that the shank be unthreaded where the flange and yoke meet. If you need to get a slightly longer bolt and cut it off, as kj280z did, that's fine.

If you have a driveline shop nearby they should also be a good source for these bolts.

• 3 weeks later...

This part of my install is done. See pics. 8mm is essentially same size as 5/16. Sourced some grade 8 size 5/16X1.75 inch bolts from bolt depot. This gave me the shank length I needed to ensure full sized bolt at the junction between both flanges. Shorted bolts had insufficient "shank" or "shoulder". Had to cut off 3/8 inches of threads with dremmel tool with cut-off wheel. Remember to put on a nut before cutting to allow you the clean threads as bolt is removed. One pic shows the shorter bolt that another forum member recommended in a metric 8mm 10.9 spec; the length is good but the shank is too short. Next is comparison between stock Datsun bolt and the modified grade 8 bolt. Then part numbers from boltdepot.com. Next shows how grade 8 bolt shank spans junction of the two flanges. post-5903-079547500 1305513953_thumb.jpgpost-5903-011682300 1305513977_thumb.jpgpost-5903-082560500 1305513991_thumb.jpgpost-5903-077525600 1305514010_thumb.jpgpost-5903-042818200 1305514024_thumb.jpgLast shows difference between stock flange (bottom) and JCI flange.

Anybody know correct torque setting for 5/16" grade 8 driveshaft bolts (if I can get a torque wrench under car with crows foot socket)?