HybridZ

ground control coilvoers, stock isolators

hey guys, after reading 9000 pages of stuff i am giving up and posting.

i have a 240z with ground control coilovers and tokico 3125 struts, sectioned. i am not using the camber plates. the top hat supplied (techno toy tuning at least) doesn't fit into the bearing. i was wondering what you guys are doing. i guess i could take the stock upper spring perch and modify it in some way, but i figured i would ask 1st.

well the ground control tophats are a little bit different. they have the sloping top with a little nipple if you will, like the stock perch, but the diameter of the nipple is bigger than the stock perch. i was looking at it and i think i can put it in my lathe and turn it to match the oem bearing diameter, then i can cut the isolator thickness to whatever i need to or put a shim under (actually on top) of the bearing.

if that all makes sense..

5639356236_f8f85f2cf2_b.jpg

5639355996_6020f2f0e8_b.jpg

5639355804_49b48fcb39_b.jpg

oem perch O.D. diameter= 1.09"

oem perch I.D diameter= 1"

wall thickness would be .09"

ground controlO.D= 1.249"

ground control I.D=.891"

wall thickness would be .358"

if i mill down the aluminum it will work yeilding a .199 wall thickiness. i would think that would be enough. what do you guys think.

I have a 280Z '78. I don't know if you can make, as mine, the same modification with your "groud control kit" and your Tokico 3125.

Anyway, I show you my installation:

In my case ( for 280Z '78) I used Tokico TOBZ3099 (For Toyota MR2 1½" lower).

The two only things than I made are: Grind a larger "D" hole in the "cap" and grind my rod thread for have a "D".

I used two washers to fit in the groove on rod.

Put the bering and the cap.

Screw the nut.

And all stays toghether at the top of the rod.

You can see groove smaller than the rod.

pIMGP5781.jpg

The "D" on the rod thread:

pIMGP5782.jpg

The two washers. The inside hole of the washers are smaller than the rod and fit on the groove.

pIMGP5783.jpg

Bering and the cap (We can see the "D" hole).

pIMGP5784.jpg

Put cap and bering on the rod:

pIMGP5785.jpg

Fit well and don't go lower on the rod:

pIMGP5788.jpg

Scew the nut and all stays toghether at the top of the rod (Do not tighten the nut and use the lock nut):

pIMGP5790.jpg

At the end, the sping push the "ground control cap" on the washer.

pIMGP5791.jpg

I hope it can help you for do not modify your "ground control cap".

Jack!

Edited by Jack_280Z

• 3 weeks later...

ok, broke out the lathe on the suspension and i am glad i did, turned out great. more pics to come.

these are the lower perches that come with the ground control coilovers.... they made me laugh and reminded me of my hondas weaponR suspension...

5656082692_8d6a0b828a_b.jpg

so giving the middle finger to that i made these. hammer tight tolerances turned out perfect i must say

5656083686_58171617f5_b.jpg

then i modified the top hats to fit inside the bearing like the oem perch...

5656082980_be6891af19_b.jpg

5656083230_0e56b360c9_b.jpg

after that i i cut a little bit of the rubber on the isolator and put it together...

• 1 month later...

Yeah when I took out those perches I was like, "What the crap are these?"

Looks like you answered your own question. Very well done, I think I'd like to try something similar.

Perhaps I'm missing something but in Jack's solution, what keeps the strut centered on the bearing? It seems like it's just sitting on the bottom surface and is free to float around since the bearing ID is significantly larger than the rod that goes through it. In fact the washers look like they are free to float around a bit as well. Mine came like his though where there is significant wall thickness on the hats and two giant washers for each so I'm assuming this is what TTT proposes for installation. Is everything just supposed to be centered by the D hole?