HybridZ

New starter same result

LosFelizZX

I've seen starter issues a lot on here, so here's mine. A 1981 S130, 2-seater, M/T. The old starter just made the whirring sound, so per Haynes, I replaced it with a new refurbished one from O'Reilly. I put it in and the it's the same problem. I can hear the click, it sounds like the starter motor is going and the voltage stays at about 12, with a very small drop, but the engine won't turn over. The terminals are clean and the cables seem to be in good shape. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Is this new starter spinning but not turning the motor over like the old one. Sounds like you got a bad rebuild. Take them both to get tested. Also just check the ring gear on the flywheel/flexplate to make sure there are teeth for the starter to engage.

Have you tried starting the engine by jumping the starter connections at the starter?. If it cranks over and starts with the key on, The ignition switch may be bad or has a bad connection at the ignition switch. If you have a volt meter you can yest the voltage at the signal wire at the starter. Should be 12 volts.

I don't know which troubleshooting chart was referenced, but 'starter whirs, but engine doesn't turn over' is a solenoid replacement solution, not an entire starter.

The criteria may be slightly different with a gear reduction unit as they may use an older style Bendix Engagement, but the conventional starter has to have the solenoid engage and the solenoid pushes a fork to engage the pinion gear to engage the flywheel teeth.

Does the gear jump out the nose of the starter at all when it turns? If not, it's off to the rebuilder to complain. If there's enough juice to turn the starter, there should be enough to kick-out the Bendix or engagement yoke.

Have you tried starting the engine by jumping the starter connections at the starter?. If it cranks over and starts with the key on, The ignition switch may be bad or has a bad connection at the ignition switch. If you have a volt meter you can yest the voltage at the signal wire at the starter. Should be 12 volts.

Thanks for the advice. The previous owner wired in a starter button, I don't know if that messed up the ignition switch I will check with voltmeter and go from there.

Would love to see a photo of how the PO wired the starter if he modified it from factory. Did you consider that your flywheel might be missing a tooth or a few? Remove the starter and look at the teeth on the flywheel. It would be strange, but not impossible.

Edited by cygnusx1

I examined the start button wiring (one wire to the starter terminal and the other terminates on the positive battery). The starter is now working - now on to why it won't turn over (I'll just go down the checklist and see where it goes) - thanks to everyone's input. You guys really know how to make a newbie feel included!

If your starter is engaging but the engine won't turn over it could be a couple of things:

Battery isn't charged enough to turn over the motor

Battery is bad and isn't putting down enough amps to turn over the motor

Bad relay

Or something is binding up inside your motor not allowing it to turn freely, bad news but this is worst case.