HybridZ

Removed Cam Towers...Do I need to replace Head gasket?

zack_280

I've pulled several cams on the same motor by pulling the cam towers, but I also pulled the spark plugs and drained the coolant. Now that you have a coolant leak past the headgasket, I think you're pretty well screwed. If you had done it the way I did and then retorqued the head, I think you would have been OK. I actually pulled the cam towers twice on the same gasket with no problems.

Edited by JMortensen

FSM EM Section: "Removal of Camshaft"

Reading beforehand can sometimes save extra work... ;)

Unless you were swapping external spraybar towers onto a newer head for the extra lube, or swapping internal lubed cam towers to an earlier car to eliminate the spraybar (instead of just blocking the lube ports to the spraybar.

Well, I can't take full credit for the SNAFU. I did have an accomplice who "knew what he was doing". I just didn't take the extra time to look into it first. At least I get to see the tops of my pistons now! And there's a good chance I'll get to see the bottom of them again since I dropped half of the original cam dowel pin down the front of the engine! At least the diff and solid diff mount the PO installed is back in the car. That was a PITA.