HybridZ

LS1 Alternator Bolts to Belt Clearance Issues

Can someone point me where to buy a M10x1.50 bolt that has a button head (allen drive) on it, and is long enough to hold the alternator on? I've seen a couple people swap out the stock bolts for these, but can't seem to find the posts now. I'm doing this to increase clearance between the bolt heads and the serpentine belt. For those who are interested, its LS1 F-body accessories. Alternator, water pump, idler, tensioner, and crank. Thanks!

Can someone point me where to buy a M10x1.50 bolt that has a button head (allen drive) on it, and is long enough to hold the alternator on? I've seen a couple people swap out the stock bolts for these, but can't seem to find the posts now. I'm doing this to increase clearance between the bolt heads and the serpentine belt. For those who are interested, its LS1 F-body accessories. Alternator, water pump, idler, tensioner, and crank. Thanks!

Sure, try Fastenol, I think that is the correct name. They have stores and a good website. I bought 2 at about 3 bucks each bolt. They work great for your application.

G

I am also looking for these bolts. I took one of my originals to Fastenal and they said they didn't stock (local or warehouse) the correct length with a button head. They told me they would try to find a source, but that was over a week ago. Finding a couple $3 bolts probably isn't really a priority for them... zGeezer, do you happen to have a link to the correct bolt on their website?

I tried grinding down the bolt head to a 11mm hex size, but the clearance was still too close for me. I solved it by installing a LS1 dummy power steering pump from nookandtranny.com. It was pricey at $178, but it is right and i won't worry about it any more. 1tuffz has a great solution listed above and i would have probably done it that way had I known about that method. I'm not in love with the clearance between the plastic valve cover vent tube and the factory idler pulley.

post-5903-026465800 1304480259_thumb.jpg

post-5903-069841800 1304480824_thumb.jpg

post-5903-000247500 1304480918_thumb.jpg

in my gallery here

Exceptional idea mate.

I just removed mine to do the same thing.

Two questions, why did you machine new bushes.

Couldnt you just machine the original bushes shorter as well??

And did you need to shorten the bolts, you're only talking a few mm longer after the mod to the bracket arent you?

cheers

Edited by RB30X

if i remember correctly, the original bushes are split making it difficult to do so. anyway, he [jimmyz machinest guy] won't do anything half-arse and insisted on making the new bushes. who am i to argue?!

i'm at litmans house this weekend for a driving event at watkins glen [didn't realize e was signed in when i replied to this-1 tuff z]

Edited by Litman

if i remember correctly, the original bushes are split making it difficult to do so. anyway, he [jimmyz machinest guy] won't do anything half-arse and insisted on making the new bushes. who am i to argue?!

i'm at litmans house this weekend for a driving event at watkins glen [didn't realize e was signed in when i replied to this-1 tuff z]

Thanks mate, I did it yesterday.

Resessed about 5mm in and ground the lip of the bolt head. Fitted it today and there was heaps of clearance.

You two have fun at your sleep over ;)

I am also looking for these bolts. I took one of my originals to Fastenal and they said they didn't stock (local or warehouse) the correct length with a button head. They told me they would try to find a source, but that was over a week ago. Finding a couple $3 bolts probably isn't really a priority for them... zGeezer, do you happen to have a link to the correct bolt on their website?

Sure, try this: Fastenel_Cap_Scres

g