HybridZ

Will aftermarket 240Z springs work in a 280Z?

I have a '78 280Z and a friend has his complete suspension with eibach springs from his 240Z. My question is, will the 240Z parts work in my 280Z. I understand that it can be common to run cut 280Z springs in the 240z's. I also understand that the strut tube housings are different diameters, and that the strut top on my 280Z is longer than the 240Z. I also understand that the spring rates are different. I am not looking to race/track the car anytime soon. I am just looking to lower the car a bit until my Z31 V8 swap project is finished. I figure my options if possible are the following.

1. Bolt the 240Z strut/spring assembly into my 280Z.

2. Just use the Eibach springs in my 280Z

3. Not use any of the 240Z parts and just buy some new lowering springs.

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated. I have searched this and other forums as well as google for an answer and only come up with 280Z springs will work in the 240Z. Nothing that states the opposite.

Thanks!

Here is a pic of my S30 in desperate need of more low.

IMAG0154.jpg

So I got 2 different answers! If the complete suspension will work like turboHLS30 says than that is the route I would prefer to take as that way everything is matched. Looks like I will just have to get the parts and play around with them to see which option works the best for me. Thanks for the fast replies!

So I got 2 different answers! If the complete suspension will work like turboHLS30 says than that is the route I would prefer to take as that way everything is matched. Looks like I will just have to get the parts and play around with them to see which option works the best for me. Thanks for the fast replies!

Why use suspension that is older and designed for a slightly lighter car? I'm not sure but I believe the 280z suspension is slightly beefier as well. Also it would be a pain to put all the suspension on just to have the car too low to be manageable. I know you can swap the strut top hats on the rear to lower it slightly but I would just try the springs first and if your not happy with it just buy the right springs.

I understand your point and the only reason I would swap the whole suspension is due to the fact that the 240Z parts are newer and better aftermarket parts than what I currently have. Once parts are in hand I will post up my results of what I end up doing. Thanks again!

Did you get "two different answers" there?

From what I read...yes I did. JohnC says no to the 240Z assemblies in my 280Z and turboHLS30 says yes. From my understanding, that is two different answers.

Thanks for the reminder on using the 280Z top hats.

Working and fitting are 2 different things.

240z uses softer spring rates, and rides lower than the 280z. The thickness of the strut tube walls is thinner, and a different inside diameter. There are also differences in the Hub assemblies on the front. I am not certain on the brakes. (yes I am aware you listed some of these things already)

If you are changing out the isolators to the 280z type, you are no longer dealing with "the 240Z strut/spring assembly"

John gave you a solid answer to the question you asked. In my opinion Turbo HLS30 gave you an incomplete answer, but was indicating there are options concerning using a mix/match of 280z/240z parts.

There are a lot of variables and info not known that makes this almost impossible to answer. Such as: Corner weights of 280z (do you have parts removed like bumpers) What do you want the ride height to be? Since you are in wisconsin, I assume your roads are rough due to the thing you call winter back there. Running a car with little or no suspension travel is a recipe for damaging parts, or worse, an accident.

Just some food for thought.

^^(This is the direct answer to your question) I completely agree, the 240z springs on a 280z will not work. (This is an option to what you want) But if you put the whole suspension from a 240z it will work. It all depends on if it's worth it. For me it was, because my old 240z had all of the aftermarket suspension, so I just swapped the complete suspensions. Now if you do it the opposite way around you will have a 4x4 Z and lots and lots of positive camber :D (That's what happened to my 240z )

Swapping the 240Z suspension corners into a 280Z is not a bolt-on operation. You must mix and match parts from the 240Z and 280Z suspensions. In addition to insulator difference there are also strut length differences and where the spring perches are positioned on the strut tubes are also different. Whether those differences cancel each other out and work is a case-by-case situation. I stand by my original answer.