HybridZ

Anyone running a diverter valve?

WreZ

I'm collecting parts for my turbo build and am torn between buying a dsm blow off valve ($40 plus shipping for some reason) or my friends diverter valve from his 2005 mitsu evo ($15) but haven't seen/hear/read about anyone running one before. Does anyone know if it would be possible to run one of these because the only way i can see is cutting a hole in the boot in between the afm and the turbo inlet and another in the silicone connector that will connect two pieces of piping before my throttle body. Would that work?

I could seal the area around the inlet/outlet with epoxy or something but that would also mean it would all be effectively one solid piece and not really that easy to work on. plus i would be down a boot and a silicon coupler if it doesn't work out

also, DDD-Double post

By diverter valve, do you mean recirculating the blow off? If so, then yes, you install a valve to vent before the TB back into the rubber boot between the AFM and the turbo inlet. Thats how I originally did mine when i had to run the AFM. I used a PVC transom fitting in the side of the rubber boot. I spent a lot of time on a bench grinder, shaping the back of the PVC fitting into a smooth rounded shape so it didn't obstruct air flow too much. Then I tightened it up using a sealant. Worked great.

36895kp2l.png?ver=26896054

Through-Wall Fittings www.mcmaster.com

Edited by cygnusx1

Sparco and some of the other Silicone Vendors have 'tree' hoses--that is standard size turbo inlet sizes with a 'smaller branch' of anywhere from 5 to 25mm diameter.

I made mine from a section of 3" muffler tubing. Had a mandrel bent 3/4" pipe that I made a penetration and welded in place. Then connected the muffler tubing to the turbo, and the 3/4" pipe to the blowoff (recirc) valve...

The front portion of the muffler tube was like a CAI setup, and eventually went to a K&N Cone Filter.

The 3/4" pipe pointed to the turbo wheel, so the air blowing down poofed to the turbine wheel to hopefully keep it spinning faster with no force coming from the turbine side on drop-throttle.

My understanding is this is how the old 917's were plumbed.

• 8 months later...

I used a recirculation valve picking up from right in front of the throttle body and ran that to the turbo inlet as described above.

The car has a stock "vacuum control valve" that is enough for the small volume of boost in the stock J pipe but I added a recirc. valve when the intercooler went on since the volume of pressurized air is much higher.

It's dead quiet unless you have the air cleaner top off.....then you can hear it working.

Be careful choosing valves as some are pulled open by vacuum at idle and require that they are plumbed somewhere between the maf and the turbo inlet.

If you run these valves with the dump open to the atmosphere, you will be pulling air through the valve and bypassing the maf.

Edited by HowlerMonkey