HybridZ

Drone @ 2000 rpm

zgeezer

Found this on a Mustang forum and a similar comments on a G8 site. Solo touts their "j" tubes, which are two capped pipes welded onto the tail pipe.... see the last photo of their G8 converter kit. I think its here.

Here is a JDM Honda HKS version: go down to posts # 5, 6, &7.

Any comments?

B

Edited by zgeezer
  • Like 1

Given the welding to reposition the current iteration of the MSA exhaust to allow a resonator up front, welding in an experimental sidestream leg to knock down the drone may be worthwhile on the experimental side of things. Just takes one to figure out where it needs to go and you can cookie-cutter them into systems like needlepoint...(simply by the numbers!)

That looks like something quite promising looking at reviews from Mustang users.

It seems to be something fairly easy to do as long you have the ability to weld (and fit) the resonator... I'll keep this option in mind for the future since exhaust noise reduction is part of my plan in the future.

Edited by Lazeum

• 10 months later...

That's actually NOT a Hemholtz resonator, but is instead a quarter-wave resonator. Hemholtz resonators are sized on volume, not length. The 1/4 wave resonator has a much higher Q, and thus cancels out a narrower band of frequencies and their harmonics. The Hemholtz resonator has a lower Q and would cancel a wider frequency range, probably would cover the second harmonic, but doubtful that it could achieve third harmonic or higher resonances due to the low Q. (In this case, the wider bandwidth is more valuable than the harmonic resonance damping.)