HybridZ

eBay: APU Powered 280

GreenState

Is it possible this is part of a home made hybrid conversion?

From my understanding the APUs are perfect for a stable, constant RPM, moderate power output application. Eg a generator. Maybe by including the APU he can reduce the number of batteries usually required for a home made electric vehicle. From the photos there looks like there would still be room behind the APU for an electric motor.

If I am correct I think it is an interesting conversion......for a novalty.

Clean it up and increase the WTF factor by 10. $16K is too much for my blood. Performance with "only" 210 shaft HP? If this 210 shaft HP is rated in the manner of electric motors, then there will be good performance there. Are turbines rated at "stall"?

Interesting car.

g

Looks like the powerplant from an A/N -60A Gas Turbine Generator Set.

From which, if you condemn the tachometer you have a 6000 rpm = 100% unit that looks bitchenwicked in your dashboard.

Nothing as ominous to your passengers than a 720 degree rotation tachometer reading out 45% going down the road at 65mph! Even better us running down the road at 110%!!!

Yes, I am serious.

Edited by Tony D

I'm normally not a guy to chuck stones at someone's project, but it may bear pointing out something...

The word "rat rod" is currently taking on vernacular for "bit off too much to chew, so because I can't finish it properly, but itmoves..."

The car is shown without the hood, but it's included... I posit the REASON the hood is not shown is because most potential buyers will be scared off by the fact that the exhaust from the turbine exits FORWARD AND UP through where the old radiator used to be... So the hood must have some sort of heat shield to keep the paint from being burned off. Not tomention driving through a continuous 1100F stream of CO-Enrichened airflow being provided to the passengers compartment. I don't know that rolling the windows down in this instance will help much... You guys complain about fumes in an S30...

Methinks someone went for his first ride and realised this last point and decided to sell. He kinda ought mention this in the ad copy. "Need to fab undercar exhaust and patch big hole I cut I put in the original hood."

• 3 months later...

The same car is for sale again, but this time dressed up like an SR-71.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Turbine-Engine-Rat-Rod-Jet-Car-Rocket-Hot-Rod-SR-71-Datsun-280zx-/150819504364?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D150762213305%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9027905810348964004

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

He says the tail numbers have a secret meaning and if you figure it out he will knock off $500.

@ TonyD - I imagine somewhere in your vast wealth of semi-useless information you might have a recollection of what this number signifies. :D

IMG_0505.jpg

Can't see the numbers in the photo on offer, so I guess his 500 is safe. Which is his aim I suppose.

Eascoaster wanting to be a Westcoaster... what else is new?

I got ejection seat armed stickers on the dash of my 260 Blue Turd as well, decalomania official USAF Issue ACESII F15C/D model ones.

You can buy my turd for only half as much---give me CASH 8K and take it away. You can keep the decals and Flea Baily, the side seat mascot.