HybridZ

rt260 - LSx Powered

• Administrators

About 9 months ago, I sold my late 260 to Mongo510. This was the same car I had put the BMW S52 drivetrain into... M Powered Z

I was distracted from Z's for a while and even built a Locost frame that I sold to a local friend who is now gracing it with an F20C. Can't wait to drive it!... Locost

Skipping a lot of details, Mongo and I were talking and he told me I could have my 260 back. I chewed on that one for a few weeks and pulled the trigger. She's back home...

rt260LSxHome.png

I've always liked this car. It's never been hit and is as rust free as any un-restored Z I've ever seen. It's ugly but it's solid. (Thanks Mongo!)

I put a bug in BRAAP's ear that I was looking for a 6.0 liter. Before the day was out, he had found me an LQ9 w/130K on the clock. It spent it's life in a 2002 Cadillac Escalade, so there's a fair chance this motor has lived an easy life. I made a deposit on it that day and brought it home that weekend...

LQ91st.png

This motor is the "HO" variant of the LQ4. A little more CR (10:1) and a slightly more aggressive tune put it at 345hp and 380ft/lbs.

Stripped it and set an LS1 intake on it...

LQ9Stripped.png

It's cool that you got your car back. :D

I have a couple of questions for you to.

Does the car still have the fuel tank stup you made for it?.

Are you going to leave the paint and body as it is in the pic?. I'm kind of liking the rat rod look, Body and paint left alone. Drive train and suspension updated. B)

Edited by dexter72

• Administrators

Does the car still have the fuel tank stup you made for it?.

I kept the sump and pump, but discarded the tank before I sold the Z.

Are you going to leave the paint and body as it is in the pic?.

I would like to paint it someday, but it's at the bottom of the todo list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The 621 reproduction bell from Keisler Engineering showed up...

621Bell.png

The plan is to mate it to a massaged TKO600 from Liberty Gear.

There's been plenty of debate on the weight of an iron block vs. aluminum. I wanted to 'know' the difference and whether the there was enough difference to put an aluminum block on my wish list. The truth was a little more sobering than I had expected... 102.8 lbs difference.

Tare weight zero'd...

LSxZero.png

Alum... 94.2lbs

LSxAlumWeight.png

Iron... 197.0lbs

LSxIronWeight.png

These were weighed on the same scale on the same day, and both were stripped down to the bare block. The iron block is a 2005 LQ4 and the alum. block is a 2000 LS1. Weights were taken by BrianV8Z, BRAAP, and myself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Christmas in July.

Sanderson headers arrived from JTR. Not my favorite design, but they'll get the job done for now...

Sanderson.png

New TKO600 showed up as well...

TKO600-1.png

TKO600-2.png

TKO600-3.png

I had Liberty Gear perform thier typical massaging which includes:

• Bronze Shift Fork Pads
  • Surface Enhancement/Processed Hubs & Sliders
  • Internal Shift Linkage Upgrade
  • Liberty's Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support
  • Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings 2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear

Monster Stage 2 clutch: Kevlar disc, 18lb Chromoly flywheel, and ARP bolts also made thier way into the project...

MonsterClutch.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Finished the motor mounts (w/BMW E36 isolators). Just eyeballing, it looks like the engine sits about a 1/2" higher and 3/4" more rearward than the JCI mounts...

MotorMountA.png

MotorMountE.png

MotorMountsB.png

MotorMountC.png

MotorMountD.png

MotorMountF.png

• Administrators

I want a ride!!!

You'll be one of the first to take the keys.

Nice Ron! What are your plans for the EMS? Wolf V500?

I like GM EFI, so it'll get a factory 411 ECU with HP Tuners software.

Ron: I have purchased the 411 PCM, harness, fly by wire throttle body, electronic gas pedal etc. Needed TAC module but did not purchase. Already spent thousand dollars and still not purchased the software yet. Discovered Electromotive TEC3 ECU on Ebay. Researched and found this ECU is Infinitly tunable either NA or blown. Purchased all the extra stuff for the Electromotive ECU. Using it in place of 411 PCM. Electromotive has another later design TEC3 coming out that will spit out serial digital CAN bus. This can be interfaced with a Digital Dash.

Research and consider the Electromotive TEC3 ECU.

Ron, I may have missed it but you sold the car with the M3 motor and bought it back, but what happened to the M3 motor? Also, looks like you went with the aluminum block after all?