HybridZ

Newest NJ LS swap

A few months ago a good friend of mine asked me if I would help him find a good Z car to play with. He owned a 260 30 some odd years ago in high school and always thought about owning one again. After 2 days of looking (yeah, he was very lucky) he picked up an extremely clean 73 from Colorado and had it shipped to NJ. Then he drove my LS 280 and got the itch. Next thing I knew he was searching for a 6 speed donor. It wasn't very long and he was driving to Pa to pick up an LS2/T56 from a 2006 GTO! His next question was "What am I going to do about suspension and brakes?" so I sent him to all of the usual places to compare what was available for our S30's. A few days later, an ArizonaZCar track pack was ordered complete with Q45 diff. We welded in some bad dog rails and a fuel cell and it was time to trailer the car to my garage for the transformation. After 2 days the driveline is in and the ride height set on the suspension. We have run into a few snags with the fuel lines, not having the correct fittings to connect everything up, it appears JCI sent a driveshaft that is too short for the short nose R200, and not having the correct shifter. Not too bad. Today we'll wire the fuel pump, bleed the brakes,get power to the ECU, install the speedo and hook up the tach.

A very productive weekend. If we keep this up and the parts we need get here this week, we should have the car moving under it's own power by the end of next weekend!

Progress

Joe

Today we made some progress as well. All of the wiring is finished with the exception of the fan relay and power lead to the fuel pump. Tach and speedo are done, brakes are bled, the clutch is bled and block hugger headers are in.

It's going together very well!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Car is ready to head to the custom exhaust shot for a set of stainless long tubes and true duals. Only other pieces to get are a belt and the shifter offset lever inside the trans for an Fbody. Anybody know off the top of their head what size belt to use when using an LS2 from a GTO? Also, Keith, you wouldn't happen to have a part number for the shifter offset lever inside the trans shifter housing would you? I should have read your post more carefully!

Joe

Took a slight step backwards. Upgraded the entire fuel system using FuelLab stuff. Got it all buttoned up and wouldn't generate any more than 20 lbs of pressure. Spent a day going through everything to find out the pressure regulator has a carb system spring in it. Oh well, what's another couple of days before she heads off to get a full custom exhaust and long tube system.

Joe

post-53-048359500 1347805457_thumb.jpg

Edited by rags

Tomorrow the correct adj fpr will be here so that should get buttoned up pretty quickly. Then it's on to installing the EZ Electric Power Steering unit. As soon as Dave found out I ordered it for my car, he ordered one. We did the install on my car in about 4 hours (Thanks CB!)so his should be a breeze.

Joe

So to update this build, the electric powersteering has been installed. This one went in much easier than on my car. I guess that would make sense since I would already know what parts of the install would be giving me trouble.

Today, the Magnuson supercharger arrived! For those interested I'll post some pictures tonight after we dry all of the drool off of it :)

Joe