HybridZ

question on rear brake swap

This has been a nightmare. First I was going to use rear calipers from an 83ZXT that I had stripped - should have been simple and cheap with a later model ZX for donor parts. I ordered brackets from a guy that work with the ZX calipers and the they never arrived, I tried to call and the website -- no longer in business. I then got maxima brackets from someone else, no place in town would machine them due to liability. I got new machined maxima brackets from another guy. Then the ZXT calipers did not fit. I got ordered some 88 rear maxima calipers that worked with the brackets -- FEDEX never delivered them. then I finally got the calipers, I got custom ss brake lines made. now I almost have the brakes together but ...

I have rotors from the same 83 ZXT.  I was told that the 84 300ZX rotors (turned down slightly) fit with this mod. I looked up the part numbers and thought that they were the same but when I mocked everything up there was a gap between the outter brake pad and the rotor. Has anyone here done this mod (with maxima brackets/88 maxima rear calipers/84 300 zx rotors)? Can I not read and really the 83ZXT and 84ZX have different rotors or does someone have some measurement differences?

any advice would be nice. At this point I probably should have just bought a complete kit. I would like to make it work with just buying 300zx rotors. I will try to get some to test out this weekend but wanted to know if anyone had some sage advice on the subject. Sorry in advance I know this topic has been addressed a lot there are so many different mods that it gets hard to search for the one I am looking for.

Thanks 

I seem to remember the Rear rotors were supposed to be 280ZX rotors and the 84' ZX rotors were supposed to be used with the Toyota S8 calipers for the front.   I'm planning on the silvermine kit. It's tested and true. The Ebrake doesn't take finagleing either.  Also If I remember, the rear Maxima brackets were supposed to be used with S13 calipers.  You should probably search in the Brake forum. I'm certain there's a sticky on this.

Seems like you have had a run of bad luck.

My rear brake kit was from a guy in las vegas. His kit used the maxima rear caliper and a turned down 300zx rotor as you describe. There is indeed about a one inch (or so) gap from the center of the rotor to the caliper, but the caliper makes full contact as far as I can tell, just makes contact a bit further than you might be used to. If you need to try out a turned down 300zx rotor I do have a spare set if you want to fit them, but I think you will find the gap is still there.

• 2 years later...