HybridZ

240z l28 Header Question

So about 6 months ago I was out of town and got a call from a friend telling me that I was getting fine notices for not registering my 240z which I had been working on (It is an early 1973 240z currently completely stock).  I told my friend to take it down to the muffler shop and have them throw on an exhaust just to get it passing inspection; well my friend knew nothing about cars and It showed when he was talking to the muffler shop because they overcharged him/me and put on one of the cheapest most restrictive exhausts you could imagine (1 3/4 in pipe, cheap restrictive muffler, non mandrel bent pipe, and they slapped it on to the rusty manifold).  I have been driving it since because I need it as a daily driver but now is the time to change it because I can tell that my engine hates it.

This is were my dilemma sets in.  I want to put an l28 into my car because the l24 is starting to give out on me and I am tired of putting in lead substitute everytime I refill costing and extra 10 dollars.  I also want my 240z to be running until I have rebuilt the l28 and it is time to drop it in, but with the exhaust It is becoming more difficult to drive.  I would like to put a header on the l24 and new 2 1/4 pipe all the way through the car.  However I am building on a budget and would like to reuse the exhaust once I drop the l28 in.  I have heard that the E88 (my current head) and the P90 (my soon to be l28 head with flat-top pistons) have the same square exhaust ports. 

Will a header built to fit an E88 fit on to a P90 head, and will the rest of the l24 exhaust fit under the car after the engine swap?

Thank you, I hope this all made sense

The "P90" header would be shaped for the ZX body.  Look at the pictures on the MSA site.

The 70-76 header should have square ports.  Put N42 in the cylinder head ID box.  Or call them.

Edited by NewZed

The "p90" header has egr and an o2 port. Which he doesn't have. Im running a non egr, no 02 poet header with a p90 head. I had an o2 bung welded on in the collector. So no dont buy a "p90" header, get a e88 header which doesn't have the ports that you won't use.

I talked to the manager of MSA today and he assured me that the 70-76 Header they sell will fit all Datsun z heads with square ports. Thanks for the help, hopefully this and some new gaskets will help solve my low vacuum issue.