HybridZ

My custom made headers and exhaust system

74_5.0L_Z

I have way too much time in the headers.  There are a few reason that it took so long.  First, this was the first time I have made a set of headers.

Second, stainless steel is expensive, and I wanted to get every cut perfect the first time.  Lastly and most importantly, I was trying to finish my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering.  So, time to work on the car was in short supply.

The program that I wrote to calculate the bends actually began as a project for my Robotics class.  I convinced the professor that the procedure to calculate the bends for a header was the same as that required to solve the kinematics of a robot arm with seven degrees of freedom (which it is).  So, I spent a semester doing the math and writing the code to figure the header tube paths.

I finished that class in 2011,  but had several classes to finish for my degree so the headers went on hold while I collected parts and finished school.  I finished my degree in April 2013 and finished the headers in August.

The program that I wrote to calculate the bends actually began as a project for my Robotics class.  I convinced the professor that the procedure to calculate the bends for a header was the same as that required to solve the kinematics of a robot arm with seven degrees of freedom (which it is).  So, I spent a semester doing the math and writing the code to figure the header tube paths.

Hrm, I did a split grad/undergrad intro to robotics class for my CS bachelors... I distinctly remember the math for more than 3 degrees of freedom getting an order of magnitude more difficult with each additional degree of freedom added.

It was a fun class, but I'll stick to CS for a masters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Those are absolutely amazing! And you got some seriously impressive gains from just long tubes and a tune. If you ever feel up to another design you should help out us 2jz guys! There would definitely be a market for a nice tubular header or at least designs for one. What kind of welder do you have? I'm looking to buy one soon for body work and was contemplating building exhaust but was kind of put off by the difficulty of a header but I'll most likely approach the header as a long term project like you have. Regardless, impressive work!