We took a break from wiring to finish off the body.
It did not go well.
Weather forecasters had promised all week that we'd have 90° and sunny, what we got was 75° and overcast.
That was irritating ( Denver weatherpeople are notoriously crappy) but really not so bad.
What was bad was an intermittant problem with the spray process, a problem that took all day to track down.
Turned out that the pressure feed to the paint pot was randomly leaking and every once in a while the reduced amount of paint was coming out as dust.
We wasted a lot of time and material before that got figured out and were unable to get full, wet coats on any of the pieces.
Disappointing, but not fatal.
The real kick in the balls came at the end of the day.
Sigfrid had just sprayed a few mist coats on the hood (we were practically out of paint by this point) and it was standing upright, drying. Suddenly, completely out of the blue, big gusts of wind blew up and yeah...blew the hood over.
Onto the fresh paint, of course.
And onto the air compressor.
Which caused some denting.
Because of the matte black paint and the mottled finish, it's hard to tell how bad the denting is.
We'll have to strip it back to bare metal and see.
The next day we decided to mount the semi-finished panels and finish paint them in situ later, pretty easy with Plastidip.
After Sigfrid recovers from the shock and depression, he can pull the hood back off and work it separately. I think he's quite good at shadetree bodywork and feel confident he can save it.
Or we get another hood.
Despite the sub-par finish, I am still overjoyed to see the body in one piece again.
It's the first time since last June that she's been "complete" and looking like a car.
We were finally able to mount the front air dam, which has been sitting in the attic for months:
With the main pieces in place, we can now start figuring out what the front end will look like.
While Sigfrid struggled with paint, I was beavering away on the Miata dash install and am happy to report that it's nearly finished.
Installing the dash itself was relatively simple because it fits so well out of the box, the tricky part was the HVAC.
We're using the Miata HVAC unit complete, the Z stuff is totally deleted.
The main/center box (which holds the heater core) has to line up and meet the ducting plenum of the dash and this interface required jiggling both the dash and the box to get close. It's now within @ 3/4" and a thicker foam gasket will bridge the gap.
With the center box in place, the rest fell into place rather easily.
Here is the main box and AC section bolted into place:
Of course, the blower assembly is no where near the original fresh air intake, so that hole has been blocked off and we're pulling fresh air from the passenger side air vent.
That's the plan, at least.
The blower is apart for clean up, refoaming and the modifications necessary for this intake change...it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. It involves an ABS plumbing fitting from Home Depot and that's always a good sign.
Because the dash and the HVAC are from the same car, the harness that came with the dash is plug-n-play...all we need is a 12v feed and a ground and the heater is fully functional.
I found column switchgear from a Toyota I like better than the Miata unit and it's clamshell trim actually fits our install better than the Miata's did.
We'll be using the electronic turn signal/hazard flasher from the Miata (and almost every other Mazda, in fact) and the rear defrost timer/relay from a Honda.
Sigfrid and family go camping over the long 4th weekend but I'll be spending as much time as possible on the car.