HybridZ

Help with wiper motor wiring needed

HELP!!!!

The idiots that swapped the v8 into my car also ripped out the whole Datsun wiring harness and dash.  I put in an aftermarket generic wiring harness and have the major items working (horn, engine, lights, turn signals, etc.). 

However, I'm stumped by the wiper motor.  All I have is 5 wires sticking out of the motor itself.  I'm just going to wire it for low, high, and off.

Can one of you electrical geniuses out there tell me which wires are which?  The wiring diagram in the manual isn't much help.

Thanks,

Jim

Note: not a sane hour, I may edit this when I am more awake, so feel free to ignore it till morning.

I think you should be able to figure it out with the information that is supplied, I'll help you out this one time.

Blue/red = 12 volt power

Black = ground

Blue = high or low

Blue/yellow = high or low

Yellow = stop signal

You may have to rub the dirt off, but you should only have 1 black wire I suspect the other one is blue.

Black wire goes to ground.

Blue/red gets power from the ignition signal (it should be on with the key in the on position).

Blue or blue yellow gets wired to the steering column stalk if you are using a stock setup, it honestly doesn't matter which one you have set. If you mix up one for the other, you will just have, off, fast, then slow instead of off, slow then fast. Pretty easy to switch those two wires once you figure it out.

If you are rewiring the whole area, It just needs to be on a 3 position switch, where when one is on, the other is off. You can orient it however you want it to (3 position rocker switch/flip switch).

And the yellow wire is the wire stop signal, essentially when you turn the wiper off, this wire provides enough signal for the wiper to complete its revolution before it turns off. This wire is also not needed, I park mine vertically as it tends to lift at speed anyways, and when they are parked down low they actually inhibit vision with low seats. Not 100% sure where this wire gets signal from, I want to say it is self triggered and just needs a 12 volt source when the motor completes revolution I want to say it is interupted, not 100% sure on this one, you will have to find out how wiper motors are wired to have this one work correctly.

Edited by seattlejester

And the yellow wire is the wire stop signal, essentially when you turn the wiper off, this wire provides enough signal for the wiper to complete its revolution before it turns off. This wire is also not needed, I park mine vertically as it tends to lift at speed anyways, and when they are parked down low they actually inhibit vision with low seats. Not 100% sure where this wire gets signal from, I want to say it is self triggered and just needs a 12 volt source when the motor completes revolution I want to say it is interupted, not 100% sure on this one, you will have to find out how wiper motors are wired to have this one work correctly.

The PARK function is part of the motor, not the switch.

If you think about it, it makes sense...how would the switch know where the blades are?

Typically, it works kinda like this...

Think of how the horn signal is transferred to the steering wheel, a spring loaded contact on a brass slipring.

The wiper motor gets power just like that except there are two sliprings, one is intact/continuous, the second one is missing a segment. When you turn the switch OFF, the intact ring loses power but the "broken" one is still live, so the motor continues to run until the contact hits the missing segment and it finally stops.

The drive spindle (output shaft) always stops in the same place relative to the gap in the segment and thus you have PARK.

The wiring diagram in the manual isn't much help.

Which manual are you using?  The 1972 diagram seems pretty simple and straightforward.  There's not even a relay to figure out, just three wires from the switch to the motor, a ground, and a power wire to the fuse box.  If you have the switch and the motor, all you need is wire.

Even the later models with six wires have everything shown and labeled, 1976 for example.  You just have to work through more connectors, the ignition relay and the intermittent amplifier.

Talking about the Factory Manuals, not Chilton's or Haynes.

• 5 weeks later...

The idiots that did the v8 swap for me just cut the wires at the wiper motor and screwed up the wiring so bad that I had to rip it all out and replace it with an aftermarket hot rod harness.  No relays left.  just power wire to a switch.

at present, I'm going to bench test seatlejester's idea and put power to the wires suggested.