HybridZ

Vacation to San Fran July 25th - Juy31st

EvilC

This will be my first time out west and I will be coming out to SF to meet my gf who is traveling for work. The plan is to stay a week and visit a few places but I wanted to know are there "local" places that should be seen that the local people hit up. Or maybe a few suggested things to do while in the area. Driving from place to place will not be an issue so sound off if you anything comes to mind. I have a list of things we plan to do but wanted to make sure I reached out to the Z peps.

Of course, I will be checking CL while out there and trying to spy a pull-it yard for Z cars, lol.

I just got back from there. My wife, daughter, and I had a great time.  We did all of the touristy things while we were there, and we also did some hiking.

Spend a whole day in Golden Gate Park if you can.  Start at the museums and work your way to the beach.  Eat at the Beach House.

Hike the Lands End Trail.  This is a cool hike with lots of cliffs.

Go to Muir Woods.  Get there early and take the Dipsea Trail instead of following the tourists (about 5 miles).  You will have the place to yourself if you go against the grain.

Welcome to my neighborhood! :)

I like the GG Park suggestion (the Academy of Sciences is a must if you're at the park) and Lands End is beautiful as well. Walking the Golden Gate Bridge is awesome too especially on a nice, clear day. The rest probably depends on how you like spending time when you travel. If you like touristy places, you can walk up Telegraph hill to Coit Tower, drive down Lombard, walk around Pier 39, reserve an Alcatraz tour (if they're not already sold out), etc. If you like baseball, I'd highly recommend catching a Giants game, the ballpark is awesome.

If you want to do less touristy stuff and hang out in local spots, I'd walk around the Marina and catch lunch at one of the cafes. Crissy Field is nearby as well. You can rent bikes from Sports Basement and ride around 'til you can't anymore! Since you'd be close to the Golden Gate Bridge, you could rent bikes and ride across instead of walking if you feel like climbing some hills initially. Fort Funston is a fun beach walk and is also dog-heaven if you guys like dogs. For a twistier driving experience, head to Vermont street on Potrero Hill instead of Lombard. If you want to head outside of SF, drive some sweet roads and catch a delicious and relaxing lunch, go to Alice's Cafe at 4-Corners (Hwy 84 & 35). It's a well-known hangout for bike riders and car guys. If you want quiet and peaceful, go during the week. If you want to see some action and meet a bunch of like-minded people, head up on a weekend.

There's a ton of stuff to do, honestly. If you have any questions, just send me a PM or give me a call at 650-438-0224! I'd be happy to have you come by my place and talk Zs for a minute or two if you'd be so inclined. I work at Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma Raceway so you're free to come by for lunch sometime and check out the shop as well. I'm camping 7/25-27 but will be back home Sunday night. :)

Edited by Leon

I personally am not a fanatic about SF when it comes to places to go hang out at(Good night life though). And I also am not one to look for the "tourist" things to do when I go to an area. I would recommend going All around the bay while you are there. Berkley would be worth checking out, but avoid telegraph ave. 

If you want to go out at night in Sf , north beach would be a good place to go.... Well there are a few places to go around, and some nice hotel bars. just avoid The Mission district and Powell St.

You could also peek around oakland. Go to the Fat Lady restaurant in oakland, Its a really neat place, especially for a date, very old building decorated with many antiques, The food is very good as well. you can grab lunch dinner or a drink there, from there you could walk down a block and go to Yoshi's. They will probably have some sort os show going on that you may enjoy at night, look it up online. Or if you just wanted a quick bite in the middle of the day you could grab a sandwich from bettys in oakland. but check their hours first.

Also If you are a burger fanatic like I am check out Rome Burger in SF. They are an artisan burger place, really topnotch. I highly recommend that place, Its located in A nicer part of town too(SF can get gross sometimes) get a milk shake to.

An Awesome drive to go on would be through Grizzly peak(berkeley hills), the GF would appreciate it. Its a very well known local spot with a great view of berkeley, oakland, SF, the bridges etc. You can stop park and there are plenty of places to sit. you could drive from there onto Skyline blvd, Maybe make a stop athttp://www.chabotspace.org/index.htm while passing through. From there you could connect to redwood rd, this is when you are going to wish you were driving youre Z car. Its a mini track(Not legally) that goes through the hills of the bay. lots of motorcyclist go through here to drive rather spirited, no trouble from the cops either...

from there you could connect onto pinehurst which will take you through...actually youwill have no idea where you are at this point. But its a beautiful road. You can stop at the school there, which I believe Is called canyon. people over there are supper friendly and let you walk on campus. great place for a mini picnic and to walk around, you will feel like you are really in nature. here is a Photo from last time I was there.

Id give you more things but Im tired of typing for now, maybe ill add more later.

post-4505-0-21778900-1405637281_thumb.jpg

Edited by stravi757

• 2 weeks later...

Was a great trip out to San Fran and Monterey area. Leon it was great to meet you and your wife for dinner and talk Z cars after!

Muir Woods was great, wine country was great and the roads you guys suggested to drive were amazing! Looking forward to our next trip out.

Was a great trip out to San Fran and Monterey area. Leon it was great to meet you and your wife for dinner and talk Z cars after!

Muir Woods was great, wine country was great and the roads you guys suggested to drive were amazing! Looking forward to our next trip out.

Same here, it was our pleasure!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip. We'll have to visit NY to check out your collection sometime!