HybridZ

Issue replacing S12W caliper

Hello, I did the S12W caliper and brake upgrade about 6 years ago.. Well my Drivers side caliper started sticking.. I tried taking the pins out and using antiseze but it did not solve the issue. I went to autozone and bought a 88 Toyota 4 runner S12W caliper (PN C8465)  and new pads. I bolted it on and here is what I found.. The rotor is actually making contact with the caliper. Did I get the wrong S12W caliper or is it a defect in the casting?   You can see in the pic that the new caliper is pushed out and has way more spacing on the outside and touching on the inside. The old S12W caliper is evenly spaced at 1mm on each side.

New caliper

IMG_20140928_222241_224_zpsd958e43b.jpg

IMG_20140928_203930_379_zpsf3206275.jpg

IMG_20140928_204014_472_zpsbdfb9f5f.jpg

Old S12W caliper

IMG_20140928_222323_262_zps5133d36b.jpg

You likely got one of the made in china re-cast calipers that parts chains sell as "remanufactured", so quality will be hit or miss, try exchanging it with another first.

Hi Sorry for the thread segway.

I have never heard of recast calipers.

How would you know if they are genuine castings or recasts. do they have different markings or are they obviously badly cast?

Are there specific brands that are known for carrying recasts.

For some constuctive help how about if you had your spacers turned down the .75mm/.030"

It should center your caliper again. I think you will run into the same issue the next time the caliper has to be replaced.

Ahmed

Edited by PHANTOM-POWER

I ordered shims from Mcmastercar.. I ordered .3mm thick shims.. ID12mm and OD 18mm. I ended up using 2 on each mounting tab.. So .5mm would have been perfect.. Now the caliper sits dead in the middle and the brake is together with pads.. Plus they overnight-ed them which was a surprise. Thanks for the link JohnC!!   As for how to tell if they were recasts I really dont know.. My guess is that my original ones were not recasts and the one I got was.

• 1 month later...

Hi Sorry for the thread segway.

I have never heard of recast calipers.

How would you know if they are genuine castings or recasts. do they have different markings or are they obviously badly cast?

Are there specific brands that are known for carrying recasts.

For some constuctive help how about if you had your spacers turned down the .75mm/.030"

It should center your caliper again. I think you will run into the same issue the next time the caliper has to be replaced.

Ahmed

Generally they are copies, they obtain a real one to make a mould, often a pitted one after the rust is cleaned off, which is why the copies are usually even more lumpy...

Depending on the market and foundry, they may or may not remove markings, or run both types, where they can sell the counterfeit "genuine" ones for a premium to parts stores, then offer "reproductions" for less.

I don't really believe the distributors are quite so naive, they know what's going on, they just make too much money being silent.

The calipers in my BBK are re-cast, and modified to my specs; I know a little about this topic :)