HybridZ

Aluminum Welding needed for 240z bumper to 280z rear adapter bracket

280Z-75

I have some brackets that are in developemental stages.  If someone is in the bay area (San Jose,CA) willing to donate some of their welding skills please let me know.  The pieces need to be cut out and welded.  Currently templates drawn out on a 1/4 inch thick piece of T6061 aluminum.  If you have a 280z and want 240z bumpers, you create yourself a set without having to do the measurements. 

As you can see i tried bending it and they cracked...will need them cut out and the left bracket welded.  I've already made them in flimsy steel, and they just weren't holding up as well as I had wanted them to. 

00q0q_9ZxfAzhIGom_600x450.jpg

00909_fKSFShoZWBe_600x450.jpg

01212_enRubpWQ3c6_600x450.jpg

00E0E_kpSQMqm4egJ_600x450.jpg

00U0U_l1qBUw2iih_600x450.jpg

If you don't want the 6061-T6 to crack when you bend it you have to ensure that the inside bend radius is at least 2.5 times the thickness of the sheet.  So, if that is .125 thick sheet, you need a .375 radius.  If you anneal the material in the region of the bend before you bend it then you can get away with a tighter bend (approximately 1.5 time the thickness).

thanks for the info fellas. I initially went out to a welding/machine shop and they were trying to charge me $60-80. At those rates better off to buy the ones available on the market. But I'm not too fond of the available options at the moment.

Would benefit both parties if another 280z owner has the welding skills and wants to save themselves sometime not having to figure out the dimensions for the brackets.

• 1 month later...

aluminum plate welding is not an easy job. Al under high temperature would react with atmospheric oxygen, and turns into alumina, which is an obstacle for good welding result. So, gas shield welding is necessary, SAW welding for steels is not suitable for aluminum. Argon arc welding method is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...