3 replies to this topic

#1 78zman

78zman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, US

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

thanks for viewing, im just about done with the rebuild on my 1978 280z and i dont quite know where the bypass hose on the cooling system is supposed to route to, there is a fitting on the thermostat housing but something just doesnt look right to me, all help is appreciated, i will supply pictures to best describe what im talking about and if anyone know how its supposed to be routed correctly please let me know. i own a factory service manual but looked in the entire cooling section but could not find a proper diagram or illustration. please let me know if i need to move this to the cooling section instead. thanks for reading.

Attached Files

#2 NewZed

NewZed

Clandestine Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

It's not really a bypass hose.  Looks like somebody removed your air regulator and the heating plate that sits underneath it and just connected the tube ends.  The  AAR is shown on page EF-5, 7 and 17 and other places.  The proper hose routing is shown on EM-4.  Attached a picture.

I can't remember if that coolant flow helps avoid water pump cavitation or not.  There are discussions about it out there.  Replacing the AAR and plate would be a good idea, it's a convenient mechanism.  Could also be that everything's there but somebody couldn't get there fat fingers in to the tiny places to fix a leak so just bypassed it..  Anyway the coolant is supposed to flow underneath the AAR.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AAR.PNG   198.99KB   2 downloads

#3 BluDestiny

BluDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2277 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:04 AM

If you don't have the AAR, I would just do away with all those lines. If it's just not connected, I would hook it back up. 

Posted Image
We race from 120MPH rolls...
Moderatio est figmentum

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

#4 Leskinen

Leskinen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFinland, Jyväskylä

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

I don't have aar and I run the coolant bypass the same way you do. Works fine for me.
1975 280z fairlady ## dnsf.org ~ JuiceS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users