HybridZ
74Adam

Improving the wiper motor

Funny.. I just had a huge problem with my wipers this past weekend; Puled all the wiring out for the FI (switching to carbs), and was checking that the rest of the electrical system was still working. I almost burned out the motor because the right side wiper/shaft assy was rusted solid! Stupid metal shaft through a piece of alluminum!!!!!! :evil: Anyway, I destroyed that one trying to free it, (hammer and vice grivs... bad idea) found another one from a parts car 2 hours away, and now I'm gona have to mod a drivers side assy. to work (pass side was seized on the parts car too) AND I was not impressed with the speed EVER, so I will attempt to find a workable solution to this as well... Maybe something from a Nissan 240sx..

Ok boys.

I bought mine new from the local automive store (O'Reilys) here was 120 i think with a lifetime warranty. (I can check the reciept if you want the exact) This is a farely straight forward mod as long as you don't screw up. With that said this is what i did.

Start off by modifying the wiper arm as this takes the longest. Upon removing the arm and motor out of the car make a note as to which side of the arm faces toward the motor. You do not want to grind the wrong side.. then you are very screwed. Now on the side facing the motor you want to take a file and file away at the metal to achieve an angled circle that matches up with the angle on the motor this takes about an hr depending how familar you are with filling.

After you get the arm to match the motor and it is on the correct side you need to modify mounting bracket that the motor mounts to. Position the honda motor over the bracket the same way the Z motor mounted notice that some metal on the bracket prohibits the motor from mounting flat on the bracket. I took a hacksaw to mine and cleaned it up with the grinder. (keep in mind this was done the day before i was to go to lubbock so just getting it together was the priority, not how clean hidden plates look.) After removing this metal the motor should be able to sit flat and square on the mounting bracket.

Now that the motor can sit flat notice how the three holes to mount the honda motor are almost in the same location as the Z motor was, just in a tighter circle. I put some grease where the holes are on the motor and carefully placed it in the center of the circle. When you remove the motor, the grease marks where the new mounting holes need to be. I was in a hurry and misdrilled my second hole. So i used the first one.... sloted the second and third, this ended up working very well alowing me to center the motor to my liking.

After you do that all you have to do is bolt up the arm to the motor put it back in the way it came out. Easy as pie. It's easier for me to just show you how to wire it up instead of telling you, I will try to draw something up and post it tomorrow or saturday if i can figure out the new upload setup.

Ok well this is the general write up... hopefully take some pics tomorrow in the light.

-Ed

lol awesome :D 8) Does this mean i get another star? :wink: lol j/k

I'll get some pics for you guys in the light, just glad i could help you guys out.

Ed

Oh i forgot to metion.... the screws that held the Z motor in.... also can hold the honda motor in, they are the same thread etc.

-Ed

Ok here you guys go, Email me if you have any ? or need aditional pictures. I didn't feel like taking the motor out of the car, but let me know if you need pics i can get some if you just need a visual of it.

Wiperwiring.jpg

relocate.jpg

Mountrelocate.jpg

hondamotor%7E0.jpg

My wiring is only temporary right now, like i said i did this the day before i left for Lubbock. Also only high speed and low speed are noted here... when power is given to both then you get your third speed. Medium i guess you would call it. I'm guessing the other slots are for the intermitten relay on the Honda, I left my Honda book at home so i can't look it up right now.

-Ed

The worm drive Honda motor should work the Z arm linkage well. It all looks good and I just gotta godo it myself, and figure out how it works for myself, like how do you get the different speeds?

Does your motor park on the right place?

thx

page three the picture shows you how you get your different speed, power both the high and low at the same time and you get medium. I didn't not have time to wire it to the Z switch, currently i have it two auxilary switches on a switch board i have in my z. And like i mentioned before i dont' have the honda book to tell you how the intermitten works.

-Ed

I messed around with my Honda motor today and wanted to share what I learned.

One of these pics shows that there are major differences in the 70-73 z motor compared to the 74-? motor. Either one can be mounted though onto the z motor plate, since the holes have to be redrilled anyways...

I haven't installed it into my 260 yet, (I was waiting for someone else to figure out the wiring first.. :D )

The only mod I had to do to install this motor onto the z mounting plate was, center the drive, mark holes for redrill, redrill, then notch mounting plate for new motor to clear...

LINKS TO PICS BELOW ARE BROKEN, I WILL TRY TO RELOAD

LinkPhoto?GUID=77343bf4-24d8-134c-1d7e-48fb448741a2&size=

** below pic show difference in old shaft and new motor shaft **

LinkPhoto?GUID=33be43e1-75e0-2081-2bec-3822611173ea&size=

LinkPhoto?GUID=6d1c77d4-4479-6e4f-310f-16f22fc53835&size=

** below shows difference in 70-73 motor and 74-? motor **

LinkPhoto?GUID=2b6b310a-22d5-237c-56d4-31672f74d9a6&size=

LinkPhoto?GUID=13ac7f85-8f9b-106a-174f-78cb723737eb&size=

** pic shows notch I had to cut in 74 mounting plate **

LinkPhoto?GUID=d0c127f8-2284-31a9-2bb8-28fb3627260b&size=

** finished product **

LinkPhoto?GUID=1a2bf987-57fb-1c40-c6d2-6735165fe4d1&size=[/b]

Well I will find out what it is that makes the original wiper motor get the different speed eventually. With the number of pins I saw on the connector, it probably uses several wires like the Hondu on. The wiring diagram will tell you how, ust need to figure which pins have power (I assume) on which setting.

How do you seal the connections? I saw the grommet, and I assume that goes through a bulkhead, but I didn't notice a cover for the connector area,

thx

Can anyone out there in Z land with wiring talent help me out with this???

I'd like to install this new wiper motor without having to jerryrig just a on/off switch.

I know someone here finds this kind of challange a no brainer, but it isn't me.... hum.gif

Please, what I'm looking for is how to hook up the new motor to the z wiper motor plug off the old z motor (spliced)

Here's my plan for the wiper wiring

#1 Find out which pins on the plug go to ground, 12V, the slow, & fast 'power.'

#2 Find out if the intermittent pin puts out 12V or a pulse, or what? If it's a pulse ( my thinking), you'll probably need 12V on the slow pin to keep the motor going one cycle.

#3 If you need to, you can use some big diodes on the intermittent hookup to 'fool' the motor to think it's in slow speed. I've got no ligic on this- have to figure it out later, after I get the car back.

L28/Mustang power steering getting finished Tuesday!

:D

Guest 2slo4u

I have an 81 so my wipers have plenty of speed but for you guys with the older z's, try taking the armature (or the whole motor) to a place that rebuilds and modifies electric motors. JOEL, there is a place here in Lake Charles kinda off of broad street (parallel and south of it) somewhere behind chad's pawn or bank one. The name of the company is J&J Armature works. Maybe they can wind the armature with less wire to get it to operate at a higher rpm? :idea: I think they are on 1st street. Good luck!

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza