HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

Guest zfan

I don't know about her wipers but I sure like her headlights. Crap, distracted again.

Mike...I think so..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I got the motor in, it works (a big deal for a major noobie like me), but the linkage seems to be rusted on the driver side. It's the part that screws onto the cowl, and the wiper connects to. I pulled it out, shot it with wd-40 and it won't move. What's the best way to break the rust free and get it moving? Should I just get a new linkage? If so, where do I get one?

• 5 weeks later...

Well my wipers on my 78 z suck also . I have a 180 amp alternator and ran a direct switch with 10 gauge wire to the "fast" side of the motor just a on/off switch 1 speed is all i have and it is no different then what the stock wiring setup could do .

As i only use my wipers about oh 3 hours a year im not to woried about it .

Jason

It's not the price nor the originality. It's the modification. I'd rather pull the motor, have it custom-wound for more torque, then just slip it back in. In other words, it's a laziness issue;-)

• 1 year later...

I have a co worker who is an electrical engineer, and we're going to put our heads together when he gets a chance so we can hook up the auto park feature on the honda motor. Hopefully we can figure it out with the wiper delay assembly from jc whitney. I'll keep you guys updated with instructions and wire diagrams.

OK, so I'm an electrical guy for the 240Z's. I build the Headlight and parking light upgrade harness's that you've probably heard of on ClassicZcars.com. I also do the ZX alternator upgrade plug, Sidemarker conversion plugs, and the LED conversions for the 240Z taillights and side markers.

That being said, I've just read 134? post about putting 2 possible wiper motors into the Z. And from what I've read, or tried to read, missing pictures, lack of info and the such, the only thing to come out of it is.......

1) the 94 Honda Accord motor will fit, after cutting the plate and redrilling the 3 mounting holes, enlarging the wiper arm hole, finding a nut that'll fit the Honda shaft.

2) The 91 Civic ES motor will also bolt in after drilling the Datsun plate to accept the Honda mounts, cutting the mounting plate to fit the lower sitting Honda motor, and that's it.

But even after reading the Zcar write up, and getting only 50% of the wiring figured out, this thread is good for a giggle, if you don't mind Shutting the wiper switch off at the Precise moment, to get the wipers to rest in the proper position.

I only do 240Z's, preferably the older the better (70 - 71) but I'll take a shot at it. Cause I'd love to do the upgrade but If I'm going to go thru the trouble of cutting and drilling parts on mine or anybody elses 240Z, the damn thing better start and stop in the correct position.

The forum is 2 1/2 years old and no one has figured out the wiring and written it down, on a post. seems like everytime some one puts a picture or a link on here, it's gone. which makes 90% of the forum useless.

Though there are some decent pictures to work with, the lack of a proper wiring diagam (WRITTEN DOWN) makes it pointless. SO the question among all my babbling is this......

Has anyone written down the proper wiring from Datsun to honda? And which wires are which? And NOT "Blue or Blue/yellow, don't remember, will update" Never saw an update either.

rambling and kinda confused as to the whole 134 post's about an unfinished upgrade,

Dave.

I think you ought to start a fresh wiper motor mod thread and do what you just said>>

I only do 240Z's, preferably the older the better (70 - 71) but I'll take a shot at it. Cause I'd love to do the upgrade but If I'm going to go thru the trouble of cutting and drilling parts on mine or anybody elses 240Z, the damn thing better start and stop in the correct position.

I know I'm now waiting... :icon14:

I originally came up with the ideas as I wanted a more modern motor for faster wiper speeds. My priorities were getting the water off the windshield reliably and quickly. I was driving my ex's 94 accord at the time and looked at the wiper motor in it. This is the motor I used on the Z as it is almost a bolt in upgrade. The same screws and nuts can be used from the z motor. the mounting pattern is just slightly wider. The electrical is painfully simple to do on it as well. As for unfinished... I don't see it that way. Mine has been finished for close to 4 years now. Intermitten, no I didn't care about having that so I never bothered dealing with it. My wipers turn on when I want them to and off when i want them to. It's really not a big deal for me.

If you have questions about the wiring or want pictures feel free to PM me or email me as I can provide the information. Please do not be confused though and bash my modification. I was the only one in the Z community as far as I'm aware that ever attempted this. And I was 17 when I did to boot.

Thanks,

-Ed

Please don't get me wrong Ed. I totally respect the input and work you did thus far.

I was real tired after spending a few hours researching the whole wiper issue. If I have offended you, I deeply apologize. My headlight and parking light upgrades are another example of the same track you're on, I had a problem with my Z, I fixed the problem, I shared the results. Which I believe is what you did.

I'm one of those guys who needs definate and solid answers. When I had to read 134 posts to find out that there were still un-answered questions and the lack of it stopping on its own, in the correct place, I was a little miffed and or upset.

But it's all good, I'll check out the 73' motor I got on the shelf and compare it to the 70' in my Z. I'll take the info I've learned here and compare that with the other info out there. I called on a 94' today and it was $115 and a $35 core, the 91' civic motor was $97 + a $10 core charge. I think I'll start at the JY or local pull a part before I go new. Ya know?

Anyways, I appreciate the info you and all the others have provided so far but I need more finalization before I swap out a major part that is a definate neccesity into MY Z, as I live in Marysville Washington and the rain has not quit for a while. I'd love to do a write up as well but NOT until I have ALL the answers, I don't wanna leave anyone hanging.

Don't forget to check out the signiture links for 240Z upgrades.

Dave.

Dave,

I live just south of you in Lynnwood, and I did this upgrade myself. I'm at work right now, But i have a wiring diagram at home. The only thing that will not work is the auto park feature. However, I'm thinking that the intermittent wiper control I received from JC Whitney will enable this feature, for it has an auto park wire on it in case that it doesn't work. I'm hoping I have a chance this weekend to get it in. And if it doesn't work, like I said on a previous post, a co worker of mine and I will figure out the auto park feature. PM me, and maybe we can put our heads together on this ourselves.

Justin

My best guess is there is a timing tab on the main final gear. That tab should open or close when the gear gets back into position ( at rest)

So when the tab in energized, it will continue to feed power to the motor until it gets to the rest position and then breaks the power and stops the motor in the correct resting position. Or another way to describe it is.....

you flip the switch on, the motor and tab get power and it starts to turn, you shut the switch off midway thru it's swing and the energized tab keeps power to the motor until the tab breaks and dicontinues power to the motor, stopping it in the rest position.

I guess I just need to pick up a motor to play with. The sooner I do that, the sooner I can come up with some real answers for you guys. It's gotta be in the timing and the motor has to have something on it to tell the relays or control modules where the motor is at, ya know. That's just basic electro-mechanical knowledge (electric controlled mechanical devices or mechanically controlled electric devices)

Justin, Email me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Dave.