HybridZ
Tim240z

Info on California Engine Swaps (BAR):

Tony D    143

I don't know 'bout 'club events or to a repair shop' but about the only time I'm driving the hot car is during a club function. And my preferred repair shop to fix that streaky wiper is just around the corner from where I work. Wouldn't make sense to drive back from work home, pick up the Z, then drive back to work (arriving around 8pm) to get it fixed... There would be no legal basis to support any citation for a car being driven anywhere that wasn't 'club or repair shop' linked. That is as simple as anybody making a simple declaration on the spot.

What exists is the insurance company limitations on coverage for collector vehicles. "Pleasure usage" is a key term in many policies, and if they are granting 'collector car insurance' to 'pleasure use vehicles' then it complies with the letter of the law, and you are covered by functional criteria only-no visual. There are no mileage limits other than what your insurance company imposes, so shop wisely!

They have moved compliance checks for collector status to the insurance companies, and basically they don't want commuter vehicles being exempted from the full-on smog testing. Ever notice the 'historic vehicle' plates used to have a form to fill out, now it's not in the DMV catalog? Now you have to make a statement of fact and go through all sorts of hurdles to get one of THOSE issued. Why? Because they don't want to issue them as once you get one that's it for anything they have as restrictions over your car. It's the only exempt plate a private person can get. Yes, exempt. Same classification as municipal vehicles and police cars, exempt exempt. No more of the testing which I refer to as anachronistic and bureaucratic at all for an Historic Vehicle Plated Z. But I'll keep it under the lid for now only because I'm supposed to... There's just no practical way for them to enforce that phraseology to deny collector car status---It specifically states you have to have collector insurance, and that is how they identify the cars. The DMV finally moved up to the 21st century with such technologically adept states as Alabama and had all insurance carriers in the state submit insurance information via computer! So they know what coverage you have, and smog you accordingly. Unless you are driving well beyond 2500 miles per year locally with your car (in which case you shouldn't have collector car insurance anyway, it's a regularly driven vehicle!) it's likely not an issue, and that is the threshold in many Insurance companies policies with the same verbiage of club events, parades, repair work, etc etc etc. Though the 'pleasure use' is still the most liberal and IMO the best policy to get. Most of the insurance companies will let you bump any mileage restrictions on your policy for infrequent out-of-state events. I told them I was going to drive cross-country to attend a Z-Car Convention in Canada, and I expected to go around 18K miles that year. Ended up going 18K miles in the trip, and all the agent said was 'which way did you go?' trying to figure out how I put 18K on in three weeks when in a straight line it's maybe 3200 miles. Hey, "Enjoy the Ride"!

The letter of the law says that ANY engine replacement or swap be reported to the DMV for recording of the appropriate information as well. If you don't do it, it's an illegal engine swap/replacement and subjects your car to impound. They only press it in the cases of street racers, but all those L24 serial numbered 240Z's with L28's in 'em without a valid engine replacement record on file are crusherbait as well. It's all in the V-Codes.

I blame the Tool Shed for directing me to revisit the post, and thereby bump it again.

7MGFORCE    10
Just to add a little something...

Also, the current laws state (if I am not mistaken) that you can not replace your current engine with one with additional cylinders. For example, if you have a I-6, you can not drop in a V8. The engine also has to come from the same brand of vehicle (Nissan to a Nissan, no Toyota in a Nissan).

quote]

^^^ i have heard of this aswell. is it true?

so ls1 or 2jz cannot be legalize even if all smog equipment is installed?

on a 74 160z?

Gollum    23
Just to add a little something...

Also, the current laws state (if I am not mistaken) that you can not replace your current engine with one with additional cylinders. For example, if you have a I-6, you can not drop in a V8. The engine also has to come from the same brand of vehicle (Nissan to a Nissan, no Toyota in a Nissan).

quote]

^^^ i have heard of this aswell. is it true?

so ls1 or 2jz cannot be legalize even if all smog equipment is installed?

on a 74 160z?

Bringing this back from the dead, I know. But I was going through old posts on the topic and found this alarming falsehood that amazingly had no retort.

This is utter B.S. There is no law in CA that I've seen (and I've ready nearly all of the smog related ones I believe) that says anything of the sort. What the law DOES state, is that in order to swap an engine in a BAR approved manner, the engine DOES need to come from the same vehicle weight class (no heavy pickup engines in a triumph, but regular 1/4 or 1/2 ton pickups would be fine in most cases depending on GVW), cannot be from a model year older vehicle, and the engine cannot be of lesser equivalent smog equipment. The latter bit is what the state ref will use to tell you that you can't install a carbureted engine in a vehicle that was E.F.I. from the factory. A move obvious violation would be installing an engine with no factory evap system when your stock engine DID have evap. Obvious no-no.

Further proof of this falsehood, is the fact that last time I was talking with a ref while he tested my own car (about a year ago now), he was trying to get ME to SWAP a LS1 into my 280ZX!!!! Yes, that's right. The ref WANTED me to swap my engine and bring it back to be legalized... Why? Because he'd just legalized one earlier in the month and thought it was really cool.

No back to your regularly scheduled slumber...