HybridZ

260z wiring diagram needed

I've completely rewired the car with EZ Wire kit, not using anything from original Datsun harness except a few connectors like for the headlights and sidemarkers, and windshield wipers. Only thing that is still a mystery is the Windshield wiper wiring. The washer I have hooked up, works fine.

What I think I know is there are 7 wires coming out of combo switch: Blue/white = washer, Yellow/green is on at low and medium, Yellow/black is on at medium only, Red/blue is on at high only. Green/white, Blue/red, and Blue/yellow are not affected by switch or washer at any setting.

The 280Z windshield wiper motor has 6 wires on it's connector: Two thick black, 1 thinner black, Blue/red, Yellow, and Blue/white. Would be great if someone smart could tell me what to connect the wires or what else I need to buy to put between switch and wiper motor to make it work.

I also would love some clarification on this one... I see the same wires on my plug, but the wiring diagram I have shows only 1 black, 1 solid yellow, and a blue w/ red tracer, yellow w/ green tracer, yellow w/ black tracer and blue w/ white tracer.

If the wires on the plug were actually correct to what's on the diagram, it seems like it would be fairly easy to wire up the black and the yellow (most likely ground and 12v, respectively) and put spade terminals on the rest and just trial and error using the wiper switch until you get them right... That's only 16 combinations, so it wouldn't take long... But without knowing which one is the 12v constant, or even ground for that matter, you wouldn't want to trial and error the whole plug or you might deliver to much current somewhere...

I just finished this on my 260Z but using an American Autowire kit. The combination switch was a PITA, but I found a thread that really helped, even though I think they were working on a 280, but I figured it after a bit of head scratching.

look through here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94822&page=2

Cheers

Ryan~

Thanks for advice, I read thru that thread again, had seen it on previous site search. I have the wiper switch figured out, what I don't have figured out is what the 3 wires (low, medium, and high speed) coming out of the combo switch need to attach to on the six wires coming off the motor. I guess it is time for trial and error, the wiper setup appears to be a closely guarded secret...

I happened to have driven my car to work today, if I get a chance I'll go out and see if I can still see the wire colors for how I wired the wiper motor. The only thing I couldn't figure out on the wiper is the 'autostop'. So ya, you kind of have to time it, but it isn't a big deal for me, especially since my car rarely sees the rain...

Cheers

Ryan~

Well, I didn't write stuff down like I should have when I wired it, and without a test light I can't tell you which is high and which is low. Here is what I do have! On the wiper motor;

black > ground

blue > to switch

blue/yellow > to switch

Sorry, if I can get my hands on a test light today I will tell you more... Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ryan~

Thanks for looking. I finished installing the 700r4 tranny yesterday, so now it is time to finish the wiper wiring, then hook up battery charger and test everything. I'm hoping I can make this work with direct connections between switch and motor. I'll post another note when (if?) I get it working.

• 2 weeks later...

Figuring this out is taking way too much time so I went the simple route and settled for having high speed, medium speed, and a washer that works. If this helps anyone else here's how it is working:

• Eliminated the amplifier and relay, using standard wiring with direct connections.
  • Wiring used out of motor is black for ground, Blue/yellow for high, Blue for medium.
  • Wiring used out of switch is Red/Lt Blue for high, Yellow/black for medium. (Yellow/green is hot when low switch turned on, but not used because there isn't a separate direct low speed wire in motor to connect to.)
  • Wiring coming out other side of connector is Blue/Yellow for high and Yellow/Black for medium.
  • Washer wire going directly to washer pump and not routing through wiper motor loom.
  • I'm powering wiper and washer separately from everything else in the combo switches on steering column by using the small black wire that was connected to the double ground connector.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I just joined the forum! Never thought I would own a z, but as luck would have it, a friend of the family gave me a 260z!!! I'm trying to straighten out the wiring any help would really be appriciated! My name is Mike by the way!!!! My email is

Michaelholland179@yahoo.com. ...thanks ahead of time...