HybridZ

L28ET in a 240sx

DriftZ

Hey guys I used to have a 280zx but it was so rusty that I had to sell it because it wasn't "safe" to drive. Now I have an S13 and I want to put the L28ET in it. Are there other people that have done this that could have helpful information on this. Should I try to get the motor to fit on the KA tranny or should i use the l28 tranny and get a custom driveshaft? Do I need a custom driveshaft for this? Any help would be appreciated and if this is in the wrong section, sorry, feel free to move it.

Yes there are threads here and other places that you can read with lots of helpful info in it.

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77182

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=186964

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115464&highlight=280sx

Any questions after reading those then just send me an email and I will help you out.

I have a way of solving the front swaybar issue, I just don't have time to work on the car. It's been sitting for a little while because of time issues.

The R32 X-member is the easiest way to get the L motor in the car. You will have to notch the holes in the tranny X-member and you will have to get a DS made or modified, do not use the SX driveshaft cause it's a 2 pce.

I spliced the ZXT harness into the SX. I made it "plug-N-play" with stock connectors. I had to unwrap the stock ZXT harness and add in a few extra wires for my fan control aftermarket oil pressure and aftermarket fuel pressure senders and to reroute the harness to where the ECM can be mounted in the passenger side kick panel. I also had to extend the AFM section of the harness. For this I used the AFM section from a junk 76 harness and spliced it in. All and all it was a pce of cake to do all the wiring. Sorry I didn't write it all down but this swap is gaining interest and I'm looking at the idea os making a writeup and also making/supplying the few special parts needed to do the install.

Special parts:

Driveshaft (I would not be supplying this item)

Trans X-member adapter or modded trans X-member

Downpipe adapter (This is to fit the stock Z turbo to the AM S12 exhaust)

Remade ZXT harness.

The front swaybar is a situation where the oilpan will have to be modded. I have to find time to do that and take pics.

BTW: It's best to use the KA style radiator. I made the mistake of buying a 300 buck aluminum rad made for an SR20 because it has the same hose location as the Z, you will want the top hose to go to the passenger side of the motor or it will rub the dizzy cap like mine. I will sell my rad later on and swap to one made for the KA hose location.

I don't remember what year it was from but it was the straight 6 Maxima oilpan and pickup. All of them are front sump and that's what you need. I have local friends that were amazed at how the L engine sits perfectly on it's stock mounts on the RB X-member with no real clearance issues.

Hopefully some day soon I get some time to work on the front swaybar.

• 4 weeks later...