HybridZ

Engine assembly for dummies

I figure a major cost of having an engine built for you is the labor. If that's true...what are the chances that someone with a small amount of mechanical knowledge combined with the "rebuilding your Datsun Engine" book and the amassed wealth of knowledge here at HybridZ can assemble an engine on their own.

I had originally posted in this thread that I would gladly supply food and beer for assistance in this endeavor. When that failed, I thought I might try this route. Really, how hard is it to put a motor together. I figure I'll have my head professionally done and assembled, buy carbs from Ztherapy and have a machine shop clean up the block. Basically all I

ll have to do is install the pistons, oil pump, headers, carbs, distributor, and timing chain.

Can it be done?

It isn't too bad as long as you are the one that took it apart and have a reasonably good memory. There are acouple of good books available "How to hotrod you Datsun" and another one like it (I forget the name right now). But check and recheck your tolerances and follow the torque settings in the manual. Also have you block professionally cleaned and checked. Then it is basically a bolt together project.

Yeah thats about it, well... rings, water pump, distributor shaft, main and rod bearings, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing, thermostat housing, pcv tubing and all other SU venting, fuel lines, timing, head gasket, front cover gasket, crank pully, adjust valves, altinator (modified or stock), timing chain guides, rear and front block seals, water outlet plumbed to heater core and then back to head, and the smelly christmas tree thing that hangs from the rear view mirror.

YES! you can do it. I did it! I didn't know $hit about the L28 when I started my rebuild. Now I could probably teach a class on the thing. If you need or want any help just let me know. I live about 25 minutes out side of LA. Drop me an Email and we'll talk.

I hope this helps

Matt-

I agree with Matt, it can be done, I had my engine on a stand right now and I have not touch it for over four months. I'm pretty new to L28 also but I been been following this forum for some time now. What I would do is take lots of pix step by step, so when it time to reassemble, you have something to fall back on.

Ben

I haven't done it myself yet, with the Z-car, but I would say it is well within your grasp if you feel the initiative, and have the tools. I say "and if you have the tools" not to cover any exotic stuff you need to do the job; rather, having the tools generally indicates that DO you use them, which generally indicates that you know HOW to use them.

Save up a bunch of empty soda bottles, and cut the lids off of them. Label as much as you can, and organize the bits as they come off; this can help make re assembly easy. If you are going to disassemble your own head and re use the valvetrain components, then take a cardboard box and keep your rocker arms, valves, lifters, etc all clearly labelled as to what cylinder they go to... sorta like this:Resizeofheadgasket036.jpg

(this was on my subaru engine, so i have two cylinder banks.. and I didnt remove my valves, but you get the idea.) This is only really necessary if you plan to re use all of these parts; THAT decision is in your hands. I was only doing a headgasket job.

There is a reason the book is called "How to rebuild your datsun OHC Engine..." This is because it tells you how to rebuild your datsun OHC engine :lol: There is also a "How to MODIFY" book that makes for excellent reading; and if you are getting into THAT, may as well go for how to hotrod and RACE your datsun. I believe all three are available through motorsport auto; I do NOT think all three names are *quite* as similar to each other as I have made them in this post, but you should be able to figure out which ones I am referring to.

Thats the best advice I have to give to you. You already know that the book(s) will be your friend, and judging from what you have already gleaned you ought to be able to figure everything out; just follow specs.

while you're on the subject. I'm nervous about the bearing clearances, how often are they wrong?
I can only tell you about my experience on my last rebuild where I had the crank ground 1 size under to clean it up. The replacement bearings fit fine EXCEPT for the center thrust washer which was just a little too thick in the fore/aft direction. I had to carefully sand it down until it was in spec. It wasn't hard to do, and so far the engine is in great shape, but I was a bit nervous that if I didn't do it correctly (for example, keep the surfaces flat and parallel) that the problem would show up after the engine was assembled and in the car and I'd be tearing everything apart again.

I first did this at age 18. I learned that if you keep parts separate and labeled, and follow the instructions in a good manual, the rest is just grunt work.

Hints:

- Check all bearing clearances with plasti-gage

- Lube all rod, crank and other bearings with Lubriplate grease when assembling (so you have some lube in place while oil pressure is pumping up)

- Don't force ANYthing

- Mark all main bearing caps and conn rods so you know which way they face and which sides match up.

That's what comes to me at the moment...